Is this the way a Cruiser normally cranks? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pin_Head said:
There is a glass window on the front of the fuel bowl and you should see fuel half way up the window. If there is no fuel, this would explain why you need to crank it several seconds before it starts. Chances are that gas is evaporating. It is bad for fuel to repeatedly evaporate until the bowl is dry. This causes tar and gum to plug some of the critical passages. Fuel could also be siphoning out if the air vents in the fuel circuit are plugged. If it is siphoning out, you will see raw fuel in the bottom of the intake manifold when the bowl is empty. Does your carb cooling fan work?

Where are the vents? Mine will drain empty if it sits for 4 or 5 days.
I rebuilt the carb and it still does it. It runs fine, fires up and runs for 2 seconds and then stalls. Restart 2nd time and it runs fine then. Takes the first start to refill the bowl.

Kevin

Toyo FJ40 said:
Where are the vents?

Kevin

There are a bunch of them. The only ones you need to worry about siphoning are in the idle/transition circuit for the primary and the transition circuit of the secondary as these are the only fuel outlets that are below the level of the bowl.

There are two air inlets in the bowl casting for the primary and one for the secondary. They typically have a tiny hole drilled into a brass plug. There is also a hole in the emulsion tube (what Toyota calls a "slow jet"). All the vents in either the primary or secondary must be plugged for it to siphon, so it is more likely that the fuel evaporates. If it leaks, there will be a puddle of fuel on the bottom of the intake manifold. If you don't remember specifically blowing out these holes and verifyinbg that they are open when you rebuilt it, there is a good chance they are plugged. If these air vents (also known as air correction jets) are plugged the carb will also run rich under some circumstances.

FJ40 cranking slow...

Pin_Head said:
There is a glass window on the front of the fuel bowl and you should see fuel half way up the window. If there is no fuel, this would explain why you need to crank it several seconds before it starts. Chances are that gas is evaporating. It is bad for fuel to repeatedly evaporate until the bowl is dry. This causes tar and gum to plug some of the critical passages. Fuel could also be siphoning out if the air vents in the fuel circuit are plugged. If it is siphoning out, you will see raw fuel in the bottom of the intake manifold when the bowl is empty. Does your carb cooling fan work?

I have a Weber carb, so unfortunately it doesn't have the sight glass.

My carb fan does not work either. I unhooked it because something in that circuit was draining the battery and I haven't gone back to troubleshoot it yet. I want it to work eventually though.

What does the carb fan have to do with it?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Well, I found at least one reason that the thing didn't crank easily. The cheesy fuel pressure valve seems to be the problem, or at least it is contributing to it. I turned the valve all the way open the other day and the ting cranks up on the first turn of the key now. It used to sound really weak when it first cranked after grinding the starter for a while, but now it cranks up and runs really strong when it first cranks.

I've been thinking of taking that thing out for a while, but was afraid it would cause the Weber to flood. It may be leaking air so the fuel runs back down out of the line after it sits for a while. I've got a new piece of fuel line I may experiment with replacing it with that to see whether it gets better, or worse, or stays the same... (I sound like my eye doctor)

I thought I'd let you all know what I found.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom