Is this the way a Cruiser normally cranks? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When I crank my truck for the first time in the morning, I have to push the gas pedal numerous times to get gas up to the carb. I replaced the fuel pump a few minths ago and just replaced the fuel filter. Both times I figured that it would fix the problem, but it hasn't.

Is this just the way Cruisers are to crank or do I have an air leak somewhere that is allowing the fuel to leak back down to the tank?

For background, I have a '79 FJ40 with Weber 38, headers, and an inline fuel pressure regulator on an otherwise stock 2F.

Thanks!

Mine does the same thing, especially if it is not started at least one a week.
-Brian

Don't know about your set-up, but I usually give it a pump or two and turn the key and it fires, this is on my '73 FJ55. My '84 FJ60 powered FJ45, I don't even have to touch the gas at all, just reach in and turn the key.

Same setup as mine, and yes 1st time in the morning I have to pump it a few times. It's an old carburated truck, get used to it. When mine sits for extended periods it's really difficult to start.

My Weber 38 is the same way. I'm running a 2psi - 4psi pump. no in-line reg. tho. If the carb it's for a while, 30-45 days IIRC Weber suggests an overhaul kit cuz the seals dryout and it's start leaking.

assuming my truck has been started in the past day (fuel in bowl) mine fires in the morning within 1-2 cranks and one pump on the gas, normally more like 1/2 crank. This is with a well tuned webber.

Doesn't it say in the operating manual to pull the choke full out and pump the gas 3 times? I read it some where on black and white.

depends on when it was operated last. After 4 weeks, it took 3 pumps on the pedal, next morning 1.

Rick '79 FJ40 said:
I have to push the gas pedal numerous times to get gas up to the carb.
Thanks!

Pumping the gas pedal doesn't get gas up tothe carb; cranking over and the fuel pump does.

Pumping the gas pedal only squirts gas from the carb bowl into the throttle body.

What is the level of fuel in the bowl when you go to start it. Does the choke help? How about holding the pedal to the metal while cranking without pumping it and without the choke?

If it's within 24 hours of running, two pumps then turn and fires up quick. After a couple days it takes a little coaxing, especially if it's cold. Choke isn't hooked up, so I guess technically my carb isn't tuned properly, but it works...

Pull the choke, 3 pumps, usually fires first or second time over. When it fires, I push the choke back in halfway. This is on a 74 F with a Holley and booty fabbed choke and pedal linkages. And it doesn't get fired up too often, maybe once every two weeks on average.

Tony

For me: insert key, turn to start, pump twice, release from start, away!
Anything wrong with my technique? I'd hate to ruin the cruiser...

Is my 40 supposed to crank like this?

Pin_Head said:
What is the level of fuel in the bowl when you go to start it. Does the choke help? How about holding the pedal to the metal while cranking without pumping it and without the choke?

How do I tell the level? and what do I do if it is low or empty? I guess that was my real question... Why would my carb not be holding the level of fuel in the bowl after it sits?

When I said I was pumping the gas, it was while the egine was turning. I figured I was allowing the air in the line to escape while it was being displaced with gas... Maybe I'm wrong?

Why does it take so long to crank my 40?

66fj40x2 said:
If the carb it's for a while, 30-45 days IIRC Weber suggests an overhaul kit cuz the seals dryout and it's start leaking.

I hope that's not the problem. I think mine sat for a long time before I bought it. And after I bought it, it sat for about 4 or 5 months while I rebuilt the steering and fixed electrical stuff.

It seems to hav gotten worse since I have had it. It used to take a while to crank after it had sat for a week or 2, but if it had been a few days it would crank right up. I've fooled with this fuel pressure regulator so much, that I'm not sure whether it is doing anything or not. It may very well be the culprit. The Reg. may be leaking pressure or allowing air into the fuel line.

I'm tempted to take the thing out to see if ti makes any difference one way or the other.

I am seriously thinking about putting an OEM carb back in it eventually so I can tell what is going on a little better...

Thanks!

I wouldn't worry about the seals in the carb drying up. Mine sat for about 10 years without running, no problems with the carb(lots of other stuff though) other than bad gas. And mine sits for about 6 months out of the year and always fires up with no leaks in the spring. Just takes a little coaxing to get it going after it's long nap.

There is a glass window on the front of the fuel bowl and you should see fuel half way up the window. If there is no fuel, this would explain why you need to crank it several seconds before it starts. Chances are that gas is evaporating. It is bad for fuel to repeatedly evaporate until the bowl is dry. This causes tar and gum to plug some of the critical passages. Fuel could also be siphoning out if the air vents in the fuel circuit are plugged. If it is siphoning out, you will see raw fuel in the bottom of the intake manifold when the bowl is empty. Does your carb cooling fan work?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom