Is this the right 80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've come across a '91 FJ80 with 97,000 miles on it. Has everything but leather, running boards and the third-row seats...just under $7k for it. Sound like a good deal?

Don't hear much from the early 80 series guys...let's hear what you think!

In a perfect world I'd have a FZJ as well, but nothing better to me than my 91. Paid $6K for mine over 2 years ago. It had 83K(?) on the odometer, but of course the odo quit working for 2 years per the car fax report. Anyway, 91's did not have leather from factory so quit searching for that. Atleast I've never seen or heard of one.
I like the 3FE engine. It's the old world Toyota engine with a modern day head. I like the A440 trans since it's all mechanical. It's a blast to work on, it doesn't have ABS, no airbags to EVER have to worry about. So it's simple.
Slow as a goat on 35's with stock gears but oh well, keeps me from blasting off a stop lights. two-tone, tan on top and brown on the bottom, and that's ba-dass.
Factory lockers smockers. I just put a $200 Aussie in the rear in less than 3 hours and if you're scared to crawl that rock in your fully locked mall cruiser, then get outta my way, because I ain't....
http://www.pirate4x4.com/gallery/album20/aam

Seems high to me as well. If thats how much you want to spend, you may want to look for a 93+

Well now........Ive got a 91 with leather. Its all purty too.

I love mine, and just paid 5200 for it about a month ago. Id do it again. Mines got 170,000 on the ticker, and still runs like a champ.

If you figure in what its gonna cost me to replace the two drivers doors and get a little body work done thats fairly close to what youd be paying. Doesnt bother me one bit. :D

I don't mind slow...it's the 97k miles that gets me. I haven't seen a '93-'97 with that kind of low mileage...plus it's that purtty charcoal gray color...

I may look at it and haggle a little. See where it gets me. I've seen one photo of it and it looks like a cream puff.

skyshark, you don't consider yours slow and you have leather??? You ain't gotta 91 then! :flipoff2:
Seriuosly though, you have FACTORY leather? I've never even heard of leather being added to the 91/92 even at the port. You gotta posts pics.

As for mileage, I sold my 3rd row seats to a guy would had pciked up a 91 and only had 27K orginal miles. He sent pics of the rig, and I was blown away at the pristine shape it was in. He paid way too much for it, but to each their own.

If you've been driving a 60 all this time...a FJ80 will not seem slow.

The price seems a bit high for a 91...but not obscenly high. See if you can knock a few hundred off...and whether you can or can't get the price lower, tell us all that you knocked off $2k so we all can still think you're the stud negotiator. :flipoff2:

Git 'er done.

If it's in great condition, it may be worth the price. Especially if you can knock him down a grand or so.

Many will tell you that you can get a 93+ for that price... and you can, but in a condition that will most likely be not too great. Well cared for rigs are worth the extra money up front in the long run.

I've come across a '91 FJ80 with 97,000 miles on it. Has everything but leather, running boards and the third-row seats...just under $7k for it. Sound like a good deal?

Don't forget if it's like any other 80 with that many miles you're a week away from $1,000 in work needing to be done. I'd fork over the $65 bucks have him take it to the Toyota dealer then when they tell you in needs the axel and brake and bearing work done you have a $2,000 bartering tool.

$5,900 I would say good deal, that would be the goal I'd have in mind. Remember it's a 15 year old SUV that gets BBBBAAAAAADDDDDDDD gas milage and if you're not checking gas is $2.50 a gal in many parts of the Country!

sonoranfun said:
Don't forget if it's like any other 80 with that many miles you're a week away from $1,000 in work needing to be done. I'd fork over the $65 bucks have him take it to the Toyota dealer then when they tell you in needs the axel and brake and bearing work done you have a $2,000 bartering tool.

$5,900 I would say good deal, that would be the goal I'd have in mind. Remember it's a 15 year old SUV that gets BBBBAAAAAADDDDDDDD gas milage and if you're not checking gas is $2.50 a gal in many parts of the Country!

Good advice. Get yourself armed with a professional assessment of the maintenance costs this things is due. Get the guy down a grand and if it is otherwise good shape, buy it!

Seriously Swank, I wouldn't pay more than $5k for it. The 3FE's are slow and as thirsty as the 1FZ. Without leather/running board/third row seat, this rig is in the same market competing with the $4k Surburban baby bus. In cowtown where the F350 and surburbans are the norm, there shoudn't be many buyers for such a vehicle.

For $7k, I would wait for a 1FZ with factory lockers with higher miles.

Low mileage rigs are rare. I paid a pretty penny for my 94 (locked) with 86K.

See what you can do, haggle a bit. If you are going to keep it a long time, no worries.

FJ80 vs FZJ80 debate aside, $7k is too much for a 91' even in great shape with those miles. $5k-ish seems more reasonable.

If you want to spend $7k on a 3FE, buy one of the many overpriced FJ62's out there with the gold plated frames :rolleyes: Not knocking the 62's, but I cant figure out why people think they are worth so damn much :confused:

Swank, even for the DFW area that price is a little high. I wouldn't bother taking it to a dealer for "confirmation" that it will need service. It may be a bargaining tool...but more likely the guy will just sell it to someone else. People don't like it when you start trying to "pick apart" their vehicle.

If there is something obviously wrong with it and (you know it ,and he knows it) then use that to help negotiate the price. Otherwise...its understood that a used vehicle will require "fixing up" and that its the responsibility of the BUYER to ask questions and be knowlegeable about the vechicle.

Hope it works out for you, that is good mileage for a '91 and the color is great.

Good luck.

Go armed with price guides from Edmunds, KBB, or NADA.

Tell him you like the truck, but you can't pay more than book for the condition, nor will anyone else. After all, you or any other buyer run the risk of losing everything you pay above that should it get totalled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom