Is this starter broken?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought this starter for my 85 FJ60 a few weeks ago from CruierCorps...but just opened it today. It wasn't packed very tight and the plastic housing
IMG_20200910_160853.jpg
IMG_20200910_160843.jpg
covering the plug (sorry, don't know the proper name) has broken partially off. Will this problem affect the funciona it's of the starter? Or is it just a cosmetic thing? Thanks!
IMG_20200910_160853.jpg

IMG_20200910_160853.jpg

IMG_20200910_160843.jpg

IMG_20200910_160843.jpg

It's not *broken* meaning the starter will work, but if that wire falls off, then you'll get no-start condition. There's a clip there. I'd return, otherwise you'll need to zip-tie to secure it.

You could also put a large piece of heat-shrink there and shrink after it's attached on the Bell Housing.

Yes, the housing that the terminal plugs into and holds the solenoid feed wire will not clip and hold in place and is subject to falling off with ease. I'd swap out.

Since it was freight forwarded to Costa Rica I'm stuck with it....now that I know it's not a fatal flaw I'll hand it off to the mechanic .
It's not *broken* meaning the starter will work, but if that wire falls off, then you'll get no-start condition. There's a clip there. I'd return, otherwise you'll need to zip-tie to secure it.

You could also put a large piece of heat-shrink there and shrink after it's attached on the Bell Housing.

If its not easily returned I would just cut the factory connector and crimp a female spade connector in its place that fits the terminal size on the starter. Maybe one of those water proof ones in an attempt to keep water and muck out.

Something like this:

Amazon product ASIN B01I8A0Y3G

As others have said if it falls off, no starty start. If it were mine I would return it, but sounds like thats not easy to do from there.

HTH.

If its not easily returned I would just cut the factory connector and crimp a female spade connector in its place that fits the terminal size on the starter. Maybe one of those water proof ones in an attempt to keep water and muck out.

Something like this:

Amazon product ASIN B01I8A0Y3G

As others have said if it falls off, no starty start. If it were mine I would return it, but sounds like thats not easy to do from there.

HTH.
Appreciate bigly the info and advice!!!!!

The factory female connector with plastic housing on the end of the wire that goes to the Male starter connector is a kind of *locking* spade. The actual brass spade has a 'hook' in it that fits in the hole/dimple in the male spade, you can see in your above pictures.

Your mechanic will figure out a way to secure it and waterproof it. Ask the mechanic to just bathe in dielectric grease. Don't overthink this, don't mess with the factory wiring or connectors (if it can be avoided) so the next owner won't curse your family five generations removed.

Good luck.

1599781633836.png

The factory female connector with plastic housing on the end of the wire that goes to the Male starter connector is a kind of *locking* spade. The actual brass spade has a 'hook' in it that fits in the hole/dimple in the male spade, you can see in your above pictures.

Your mechanic will figure out a way to secure it and waterproof it. Ask the mechanic to just bathe in dielectric grease. Don't overthink this, don't mess with the factory wiring or connectors (if it can be avoided) so the next owner won't curse your family five generations removed.

Good luck.

View attachment 2431933
Costa Ricans are good at adapting things....still, I'm taking my phone with all this information to show him cause I like things done right.

Since it would be a pain to send it back maybe the old unit is still intact and you could salvage it and swap it with the broken piece. i won't cut the factory harness just have him figure out how to secure the wire onto the new starter. Let us know how he ends up securing it.

Since it would be a pain to send it back maybe the old unit is still intact and you could salvage it and swap it with the broken piece. i won't cut the factory harness just have him figure out how to secure the wire onto the new starter. Let us know how he ends up securing it.
Will do.....the old starter does function- I'm just swapping out things I can afford to during this restoration and keeping the old as spares.

Post some pics? Save the old starter it can be rebuilt later on.
I meant pics of your ride.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom