Is this shock too long? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I am in the process of replacing the front shocks on my FJ40 and have switched from OME that we’re 20 years old to some Bilsteins. I took the old shocks to the shop and we measured them and ordered Bilsteins of a comparable length. The OME have a steel cover so I never saw how much shaft was left when the truck was just sitting but when I finally wrestled the first new shock on this is how far it is from bottoming out. This seems too short, am I crazy or is it normal?

705B989B-16D5-4FB0-9A60-9CE495D2DF11.jpeg

Try this

Attachments

• PED3415GTechstop16_03-Shock-Absorber-Length.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 546
it has a Man A Fre shackle reversal 4” lift and it never flexed very well. I’m thinking maybe the OME shocks were the limiting factor there and by just measuring and replacing them I’ve just kicked the same problem further down the road. The difference was it wasn’t so obvious before.

Being you have a SR and lift it is a bit hard to tell from the part number. Do you have stock shock towers ?

Here is a picture of a Standard FJ40 which had shock on it the owner thought where correct and rode well. As soon as I lifted it to pull them off it became pretty obvious they were a few inches short. I would do the same thing, lift your chassis and let the diff hang and then I aim for at least 1" of down to allow for off camber and leaves flexing down.

2019-11-08 18.17.10.jpg

Very helpful with the determining new shock length.....I'm currently looking to replace older shocks with new Bilsteins (5125).

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom