Is this pressure too high? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is this pressure too high? (pic)

I just replaced the oil pump and this is the reading that I am getting now. Before the pressure debacle started (gauge pegging to the high side) it always ran at the lower white mark but now after new gauge, new oil pump and new sender this is where it's at. I had a mechanical gauge on it when I fired it and it was reading right around 55 pounds. I have not had time to drive it or let it warm up completely and see if it drops when warm. I apologize for not searching I just got done and have to pick up my daughter at daycare so I just need a quick answer. Thanks!

Ken

Last edited:
And the pic would be helpful.
0910091259a.jpg

Looks fine to me.

Probably a bit high for "idling" but it would likely drop lower once your engine is allowed to warm up properly (if that picture was snapped at "idle").

OilGauge.jpg

:cheers:
OilGauge.jpg

I have to say that when replacing the oil pan the best thing I have ever done was buy an inch/pounds torque wrench. I found one on sale at Sears for $60 and it made the job go 100xs faster.

My oil pressure gauge is between your picture and the next mark. It has been like that for 23+ years and three different oil pressure sending units. At 75mph the oil pressure drops to midway between the two inside marks.

My oil pressure gauge was dropping to below the first line on the highway under load on a freshly rebuilt engine. Changed the sender, same thing. Put a mechanical gauge on it and it's 60 psi cold, drops to about 43-45 at idle hot, and runs at 48-50 hot when driving with no difference under load. The stock gauge lies.

I recently rebuilt my 2F and installed a new oil pump and oil pressure sender unit.
Since the overhaul the oil pressure gauge needle rests on the max line of the oil pressure gauge even at idle
What would cause the oil pressure to be too high
Can too high oil pressure damage the motor

I recently rebuilt my 2F and installed a new oil pump and oil pressure sender unit.
Since the overhaul the oil pressure gauge needle rests on the max line of the oil pressure gauge even at idle
What would cause the oil pressure to be too high
Can too high oil pressure damage the motor

I have read threads on MUD that talk of filter cartridges exploding when oil pressure relief valves "stick" (causing oil pressures to become excessive).

-- I am on the "diesel board" a lot and I seem to remember this generally related to the "H" or "2H" 6-cylinder Toyota diesels.

So when the needle is "pegging on max" I'd definitely fit an independant mechanical gauge to check the accuracy of your OEM gauge.

:cheers:

(It could be that you have a faulty OEM gauge or perhaps the new sender is not a good match for it ---- instead of you really having excessive oil pressure.)

I found out that there is an arrow on the sending unit and that arrow needs to be pointing up.

I found out that there is an arrow on the sending unit and that arrow needs to be pointing up.

Really!

Any photos of this arrow?

(If true - I'm sure that would be a trap many would fall into.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom