Is this pinging? Cure?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
mmm....
today I took the truck up the mountain. Curvy road, uphill, seriously at times. Coolant running at 195F or 200F most of the time. Typically going at 10 - 15 mph. While negotiating the curves, I would let go of the go pedal and then hit it again. Basically, giving it gas when coasting in gear. Had the windows open, often next to a cliff, and I don't know if that's why I heard this or whether it's new, but when I'd hit the gas, for a very brief instant at first after hitting the gas, say for a 1/4 second or so, I was hearing some light mechanical rattling sound. Sounded very much like pinging to me. I'm running 87 octane. Was about 3000 or 4000 ft high, from sea level normally. Truck unloaded. Last measured, the timing was at 3deg. From what I recall it would not do this if I'd give it some more gas while already under load.

Any of this consistent with a pinging issue? Cure besides 89 in mountains?

And this may be my imagination now, but I thought the engine at idle was a bit more noisy than usual. Dang...

That sounds like normal and minor ping, followed by the engine computer immediately adjusting for it. Yes, it's likely due to the speeds and altitude. Sustained pinging is a concern, transitional pinging as you describe is not. And yep, higher octane for that type of drive would likely erase it.

DougM

IdahoDoug said:
That sounds like normal and minor ping, followed by the engine computer immediately adjusting for it. Yes, it's likely due to the speeds and altitude. Sustained pinging is a concern, transitional pinging as you describe is not. And yep, higher octane for that type of drive would likely erase it.

DougM

bless your heart!
I'm turning into a major paranoid wreck here, reading all these HG stories...! :)

It's hard not to. We all care about our machines and nobody wants to destroy an engine inadvertently, ya know?

DougM

It sounds like "light spark knock", ie pinging. This is normal in most vehicles, though I've never heard it in my 80.

I did have pinging in an earlier vehicle (early 80s Ford Econoline 150 I6) but it was very different. As Doug suggests can be the case, that was indeed a prolonged pinging, basically as long as I'd give it serious gas when going uphill. Of course, these probably didn't have serious computers. (Interestingly, I had 2 tanks, one pretty big in the van, and when I'd go down to Mexico, I'd save the US gas in the big tank strictly for going up serious hills:) ). In the 80 case it's a very short time as I mentioned and then disappears. I don't think I could have heard it without the windows open. Maybe just the freak combination of circumstances.

Strange you'd ping at higher altitude. Our base octane is 85 (but does it cost thes same as 87 everywhere else? Of course it does :mad: )...going higher doesn't raise the octane requirement, it's the other way around. Highest you can buy around these parts that I have seen is 91.

Nay

This site breeds paranoia and obsessive-compulsive disorders :) .

My wife thinks I'm a complete freak because every time I drive my truck with the windows down next to some sound-reflective barrier (fence, cliff, wall, etc.) all conversation ceases as I listen intently. Of course, every time I do this I hear something that doesn't sound quite right.

What's the name of that psych refrence with all the disorders in it? DMM? We could come up with a detailed description of a new disorder to add to the manual, and then we should all seek counseling.

Hayes

Hayes said:
What's the name of that psych refrence with all the disorders in it? DMM? We could come up with a detailed description of a new disorder to add to the manual, and then we should all seek counseling.

Hayes

Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders IV - or "DSM IV" for short.

OMD: Obsessive Maintenence Disorder (not to be confused with the 80's band).

Symptoms:
Disappearing into the garage every weekend.
Loss of job productivity due to excess time spent on online tech forums.
Collection of used automotive fluids in excess of 50 gallons.
Collection of new synthetic automotive fluids in excess of $1,000.
Often leads to, or is associated with, MPD: Mechanical Paranoia Disorder (see DSM IV).

Hayes said:
OMD: Obsessive Maintenence Disorder (not to be confused with the 80's band).

Symptoms:
Disappearing into the garage every weekend.
Loss of job productivity due to excess time spent on online tech forums.
Collection of used automotive fluids in excess of 50 gallons.
Collection of new synthetic automotive fluids in excess of $1,000.
Often leads to, or is associated with, MPD: Mechanical Paranoia Disorder (see DSM IV).

darn, you been spying on me? well, at least I don't use these gold-based synth fluids that yall seem to be so fond of, so I'm not completely sick yet, I hope...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom