Is this normal for the handbrake? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A slight move is normal, rattle is not. My guess is you're in "P" at the time, and that's just transmission stop hitting "rattling".

Try this:
With foot on brake, slip into "N" as you pull up on E-brake tauntly, let off foot brake, vehicle will roll few inches to a stop, slip into "P". This method save on the transmission locking mechanism, from getting even slopper.

If the parking brake is properly adjusted it should not move at all.

Wrong, it will always roll just a little bit. Even with brand new drums and shoes, adjusted perfect.

I thought the same thing Spike, 14 years ago with my first LC. Took to Toyota Dealer and meet with master mechanics on roll, said normal. I tried adjusting out setting shoes by the book, still moved. Tried adjust tight, still moved.

Ok. That's new to me. Every vehicle I have ever driven and set the parking brake the vehicle is not moved, when properly adjusted that is.
So this seems not normal to me, but whatever.

I thought the same, until my first LC. Now I've test driven and adjusted more the I can recall. They all roll.

Normal for a E Brake that uses shoes in a drum to roll back or settle, not normal if the E brake use pads on a disc. A lot of the movement when holding on a hill is the suspension, it feels worse in a LC as it has a lot of suspension movement to shift.

Ps. Not normal for the rattle.

Normal for a E Brake that uses shoes in a drum to roll back or settle, not normal if the E brake use pads on a disc. A lot of the movement when holding on a hill is the suspension, it feels worse in a LC as it has a lot of suspension movement to shift.

Ps. Not normal for the rattle.

See, I've driven/owned tons of vehicles that have shoes in drums for parking brakes, and never a mm of movement when properly adjusted.

Foot brake actuates rear pads/rotors, e-brake actuates rear shoes/drums. When switching from foot- to e-brake the e-brake shoes are not yet loaded with holding force, they've just been moved into position. If you're on a hill the tolerance stack up between all the unloaded e-brake parts and the truck needs to be taken up. Hence, movement.

^^^hit the nail on the head. It is the self servo effect of shoes, they dig in but will have slight rotation to achieve this. It is a better design for a E Brake in my opinion as it is more forgiving to the force being pulled up on the handle as it amplifies this.

Foot brake actuates rear pads/rotors, e-brake actuates rear shoes/drums. When switching from foot- to e-brake the e-brake shoes are not yet loaded with holding force, they've just been moved into position. If you're on a hill the tolerance stack up between all the unloaded e-brake parts and the truck needs to be taken up. Hence, movement.

^^^^^^ Exactly right.

Ok. That's new to me. Every vehicle I have ever driven and set the parking brake the vehicle is not moved, when properly adjusted that is.
So this seems not normal to me, but whatever.

On flat ground, mine doesn't move either. But on a hill, it'll move a little before it stops.

On flat ground, mine doesn't move either. But on a hill, it'll move a little before it stops.

I've never experienced that with a properly adjusted parking brake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom