Is this for Real? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Knockemstiff, OH --- Only State round on both sid
I'm sure some of you have seen it on ebay. 87 w/38,000 original miles.
How do I verify this. I thought all stock wheels were chrome. Why the change with so few miles? I've got an 87 that I would be willing to turn into parts vehicle for this one. Just too much rust.
I could use some advice on this one. thanks

think I saw it, got a link?

stranger things have happened, I found a 72 El Camino in a barn 3 years ago, one owner with 26,000 miles, mint/showroom condition, bought it for $3K

Local 85 fj60 in town with 60K on it......mint condition.

It's supposedly been at the cabin in Wisconsin, which is a buyable story...the digital camera shots are dated July 4th, which would be an obvious time to be at his cabin for the holiday, and why don't you ask the seller a question about the wheels...it at least puts some scare into competing bidders about why the wheels have been changed.

Just a thought.

it's crazy to me all of the different designs on the later fj 60's...were they regionally dispersed, or were there different panel graphics for each different color. I can't figure it out.

anyway, best of luck!

here's your link, pimp: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...d=1,1&item=4566807327&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT

hopefully the answer was........they are aftermarket and NOT stock.

baumber said:
Oh, got the answer to my wheel inquiry

suspesion looks awfully saggy for that few miles, even WITH the traditional rear drop.

my dad always said, if it looks like too good a deal, it isnt.
hammer

Gouldsby said:
it's crazy to me all of the different designs on the later fj 60's...were they regionally dispersed, or were there different panel graphics for each different color. I can't figure it out.

The vinyl graphics on that Cruiser date from around 1984 and were part of the SR5 upgrade package on the pickups and 4Runners. They are not original to the FJ-60, at least as offered in the U.S..

My 2¢? That truck has EARNED those 38 K miles and seems a little too rough for that low mileage. Also looks to have rust issues.....hmmmmmm, something doesn't quite add up in my book -- I'd exercise extreme caution with this one.

Take it for what it's worth,
-dogboy- '87 FJ60

Landpimp said:
hopefully the answer was........they are aftermarket and NOT stock.

Did not get answer from seller. In item description there is mention of original wheels.... Power of deductive reasoning.
Thanks.

dogboy2 said:
The vinyl graphics on that Cruiser date from around 1984 and were part of the SR5 upgrade package on the pickups and 4Runners. They are not original to the FJ-60, at least as offered in the U.S..

My 2¢? That truck has EARNED those 38 K miles and seems a little too rough for that low mileage. Also looks to have rust issues.....hmmmmmm, something doesn't quite add up in my book -- I'd exercise extreme caution with this one.

Take it for what it's worth,
-dogboy- '87 FJ60

Thanks for the insight dog. Is there any way you know to investigate this further from the VIN? How much would carfax tell me?

I would not trust this, somehow. as mentioned, the sag is pretty pronounced. Also, the drivers side tear in the cushion, that all cruisers develop, is unlikely to result from 34k miles. Finally, the rubber and insulation in the engine bay looks pretty decayed, again, this is strange for such low miles. just my opinion...

Jan-78FJ40 said:
I would not trust this, somehow. as mentioned, the sag is pretty pronounced. Also, the drivers side tear in the cushion, that all cruisers develop, is unlikely to result from 34k miles. Finally, the rubber and insulation in the engine bay looks pretty decayed, again, this is strange for such low miles. just my opinion...

thanks 78fj40.. My feeling on the engine compartment is that it is in pretty decent shape. The metal looks fairly clean, and I would expect a vehicle that is 18 yrs old to show some rubber rot.
I have a question in with the seller regarding compression and verification of mileage. With only 2 days left, I might not get an answer. Let's hope he is a motivated seller.

To All-- Any other insight would be greatly appreciated.
baumber (interested in good bodied 85-87 FJ- 60)

I second the suggestion to request photos of the undercarriage, including the wheel wells and inside of frame rails in rear. I would not buy it w/o these photos. The rusted corner of that door is totally fawked, otherwise it doesn't look too bad from the photos offered.

A pic of the front knuckles might be in order as well. They should be pretty clean at that mileage. Unless it had an axle job (which the majority of stock, non-cruiserhead, 60s I look at have not) there may be weeping, which is a clue that the mileage isn't right.

It looks to me like the OD quit turning for 75K-100K miles somewhere in it's past. But, lack of care could explain why she looks rougher than the mileage dictates.

The price isn't so bad, so regardless of mileage, it's a decent enough Cruiser with a winch.

rubber rot, amazingly that El Camino I mentioned had PERFECT rubber......I expcect rot as well.......but nope, also none(ok the Jimiwag did) of my cruiser have rotted rubber, even the 62 with 350K, our driver seats on both the 86 fj60 with 107K and the 90 fj62 with 250K........both have no tear in the typical spot on the seat.

One thing you may ask the seller to look at, is the spark plug wires, if they are original then they will be dated for the year. IMOP if it really has 30K on it....the wires should be orignal, they can however go over 200K on the orignals.

Ask for ANY service records, hopefully you can find some milage and dates. In the old days on the drive door the oil change stickers were placed....

It should also have the original coolent hoses, it apears to me that yes it does have the original hose clamps at least, which is a pretty good sign the hoses are origninal. again...........hoses can go 200k so this is not a real good indiactor, but if it had 130K on it.....i would excect to see some hoses replaced.

Also look for re-man alt and starter, OEM remans will end in a -84, orignal will not have the -84 at the end of the 10 digit #

look at the gas, brake, clutch pedals.......if they are worn, then its prolly 130K+ but in the pic they apear to be in good shape.

John

baumber said:
thanks 78fj40.. My feeling on the engine compartment is that it is in pretty decent shape. The metal looks fairly clean, and I would expect a vehicle that is 18 yrs old to show some rubber rot.
I have a question in with the seller regarding compression and verification of mileage. With only 2 days left, I might not get an answer. Let's hope he is a motivated seller.

To All-- Any other insight would be greatly appreciated.
baumber (interested in good bodied 85-87 FJ- 60)

Hard to believe! Not saying impossible but just hard to believe. Looks like someone is in for an expensive lesson!!

pics

ok

For those interested, I recieved several pics of the undercarriage. Definately a northern vehicle. Looks to be mainly surface with a few glitches here and there. On both springs (i think in rear) there is a tag that states "made in canada" wtf? body mounts seem to be in good shape...
As i've never posted a pic, anyone interested I'll try to figure it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom