Is this FJ45 shorty worth $4000

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads

Last edited:
I thought only LWB cam with removable hard top?

clarkrw3 said:
I thought only LWB cam with removable hard top?
nope...shorties came with them too...just not very many of them.

go over it wth a magnet. if it's only bondo'd in a few spots and it runs and drives, go for it.

Personally, the difference of $3k is a lot to me. You could look at it this way...Is it worth $3k to you to not have to fix all the bondo. I mean, cut out old parts that have bondo, then weld in new pieces and give it a paint job. Personally I feel you could do all this for under $3k and have a great time doing it. Even if you have to buy most of the tools to do it.

One question I have, what is the inside of the bed like? Have you removed all the crap that is in the bed. Are the holes?

Sticking my neck out on a limb. I would say go for it just because I like the shorties better.

Dave

That LWB sounds awefully good. I think you'd be foolish to pass it up if the body is in very good shape. Everything else can be fixed reasonably.

As for this dude, well, they are rare birds. You could ignore the body stuff and get it and just have a ball with it.

I think you should take the bull by the horns, Aaron:

Buy them both!

At these prices you would be lucky to break even if you were to resell after a resto.
If you want a total resto stocker skip the rust bucket unless you are an ace-body guy or have a connection. The shortie tub's design lends itself to being a rust magnet. $3k doesn't go very far in the autobody&paint world, it probably would just get you patched up on the rust bucket and ready for paint. You need to know that it is an involved and expensive project (and time is valuable too). I would think your buddies lwb is priced high at $7k, but realistically is worth 5-6k if not running.
You will probably have 7.5 to 15 k+ into either project depending on how far you take it and how much you do yourself. Don't take on more than you can realistically handle again. Good luck!

Another shorty comes rattling out of the woodwork, SWEET!
I'm admittadly biased toward the SWB-RT. They are the rarest of all 45's and much more pleasing to the eye. the LWB trucks seem to be much more common. Go for the shorty-five!
(oh, and don't forget to send Georg some info on both trucks for the registry)
PMK

decision

Thanks Guys for all the replies.

I decided to pursue the LWB as it has no rust. I don't mind a paint job but a complete rebuild with the shorty is beyond my desires. Also we are always needing a full size truck bed so the shorty would not work for me to "sell" it at home in the world of spouses.

I will PM the information to anyone who wants it.

thanks

Aaron

any pics of the LWB? Mad props to anyone who has any 45 pick-up! Thats on my want list one day.

What area is the SWB in? As in state and was there any rust through?

i think $4k for that shorty is a realistic price. the removable top shorties are sooo tough to find. and i think it looks better than most of the ones i've seen. somebody better pull the trigger on that rig. mike, get it awn!

Kief said:
If you want a total resto stocker skip the rust bucket unless you are an ace-body guy or have a connection. The shortie tub's design lends itself to being a rust magnet. $3k doesn't go very far in the autobody&paint world, it probably would just get you patched up on the rust bucket and ready for paint. You need to know that it is an involved and expensive project (and time is valuable too).

Agreed. My buddy picked up a 65swb a couple years back with rust issues. The more we looked at it, the sadder we both got. True, it was [and is] a swb. But the vertical reinforcements in the sides of the bed are the WORST rust magnets I've ever seen on an open bed setup. It made me realize how truly fortunate I was with the ones on my SWB. Those pillars took out EVERYTHING in their path, the way the pillars take out chunks on FJ55s.

I don't know that they're gonna get any easier to find, but, like the man said, sometimes when you want a 45 real bad, you get a real bad 45!

I say go for the longbed too.

Good luck.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom