Is this FJ40 worth the price (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I stopped on the highway and looked at an FJ40 for sale by owner. The location is southwest Idaho. It is a 1977 hardtop priced at $19500. The details as I know them and observed:

It has a 2F engine that looks pretty clean. It has a header, some sort of Carter carb and what looks to be an HEI distributor. It has power steering fitted to it. The underside is pretty clean with no major leaks noted, but some drips on the tranny drain plug, for instance. The trans and transfer case look original and correct. The frame looked pretty clean with no rust damage that I could see and no "wall of shame" mods or welding.

The floor pans were replaced recently and the underneath side of the floor pans was not seam sealed or painted, which makes me wonder about the rest of the quality of the work. The inside floor pans were painted with some heavy black spray paint. The exterior was repainted recently, like in the last 6 months, in red with a white roof top. The original color was red, at least that's what is under the hood.

A magnet stuck to the body everywhere I put it, but there were some rust repair on the rear quarters. The rear seats are missing. The front seats were replaced with some sort of salvage yard high back buckets. The installation looked "ok". None of the heater controls worked, and the heater hoses to the heater core, have a home depot ball valve in the line for temp control.

The wiring under the hood looked like any 40 year old rig - various wires here and there, some hooked up, some not. There is a Warn 8274 winch on the front, and a swing out tire carrier on the rear.

I did not drive the unit or hear it run. I think it's priced too high - $10-12k would be more in the ballpark but thought I'd get a second opinion.

Last edited:
A picture from the side:

IMAG0486.jpg

I think your estimate is smart. 10.000 sounds good to me .. if it runs well, that is. Also to note on the pick you sent, there is a cut out and a light where that rear reflector is. so you know there was a repair there. if you can get more picks it will help us gauge the price.

Might look at this one??

Turns out the unit in Question is on CL.

1977 FJ

Might look at this one??

This looks like a foreign import which is a buyer beware cruiser. The rubber bumpers are usually Central or South America cruiser.

Might look at this one??

That looks like a SA import. Does not appear to have a heater, which may not be too nice in Idaho. Also, SA restorations are always suspect...

All excellent points and duly noted! Just throwing it out there. My friend here in town sold his 1978 survivor with AC and PS and 20k miles for $40k so you never know what people might pay...

All excellent points and duly noted! Just throwing it out there. My friend here in town sold his 1978 survivor with AC and PS and 20k miles for $40k so you never know what people might pay...

Was your friend's really a 79 or was the power steering and A/C added. 78 did not have either of those options on a 40 series in 78.

Sadly think a lot of people have been fooled into paying ridiculous prices for these pieced together south of the border cruisers. While a hatch and barn doors were used in other markets past 74 believe all 40 series from 1/79 made in Japan had rounded lower corner in the back because of the new production method. Steering wheel is a 8/80+ which be at least a 81 model. 81 would be better than 80 with split transfer case, transmission mount/crossmember and heavier springs.I still would stay clear of this one at half the price without doing my own personal inspection.

I appreciate the input. I want to clarify that I am not considering the SA import cruiser. My inquiry was.in regards to the red 1977 cruiser in my first post.

My ideal candidate is a '76-78 in decent condition, due to the barn doors ànd the 4 speed. There is a candidate 1970 in my area that I am thinking of going to look at.

Blue 1970

I appreciate the input. I want to clarify that I am not considering the SA import cruiser. My inquiry was.in regards to the red 1977 cruiser in my first post.

My ideal candidate is a '76-78 in decent condition, due to the barn doors ànd the 4 speed. There is a candidate 1970 in my area that I am thinking of going to look at.

Blue 1970
I have a 1972... but certainly wishing I had a newer with factory front discs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom