Is this FJ40 or FJ43..?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I found this Rig in a work shop in Oman...

Is this FJ40 or FJ43..?

How can we Identify FJ40, FJ42 & FJ43..? what is the main difference in between these three..?

Can anyone help me out..?
01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg

It could be chopped/bobbed. I have seen bobbed ones come out of the middle east. It looks nice though.

This is my handle on it, which may or may not be totally accurate:

FJ40 - Standard
FJ41 - Does not exist
FJ42 - Does not exist
FJ43 - Slightly longer than a 40 (~10" or so, I think)
FJ44 - Does not exist
FJ45 - Pickup or troopy
FJ46 - Does not exist
FJ47 - Does not exist

Some of those "missing" numbers did exist in the diesel version:

BJ40 - Standard, B engine
BJ41 - Identical to a 40, but with a 2B engine, Japan market only
BJ42 - Identical to a 40, but with a 3B engine
BJ43 - Slightly longer than a 40 (~10" or so, I think)
BJ44 - Identical to a 43, but with a 2B engine, Japan market only
BJ45 - Pickup or troopy
BJ46 - Identical to a 43, but with a 3B engine (note that they skipped a number with this one)
BJ47 - Does not exist

HJ45 - Pickup or troopy, H engine
HJ46 - Does not exist (I think...??)
HJ47 - Identical to a 45, but with a 2H engine.

Bottom line - if it runs on gas (petrol) and its longer than a 40, but shorter than a 45, it has to be an FJ43. (Unless its been modified, in which case all bets are off)

The "unibody" style of hardtop where it meets the body tells me custom. Probably a troopy of some sort modified to 45 status. However, as stated, 43 designates the longer body. A troopy would also, of course, have a longer body.

The rear of the tub looks like it still has footman loops and a fold down tailgate...

A modified FST?

I have no idea what it is...........but I'd like to own it:D

FJ40 - Standard
FJ41 - Does not exist
FJ42 - Does not exist
FJ44 - Does not exist
FJ45 - Pickup or troopy
FJ46 - Does not exist
FJ47 - Does not exist

In Oz Toyota sold either the post 1980 or 1982 FJ40's as FJ42 for the swb & FJ47 for the Troopy. The models were distinguished by disc brake front ends, power steering (on some), relocated fuel tank & a few other things. But essentially they were the same thing (no difference in wheel base). It was probably marketing driven & is most likely the main reason for the confusion.

Cheers

Its a modified 44

FJ40 - Standard
FJ41 - Does not exist
FJ42 - Does not exist
FJ44 - Does not exist
FJ45 - Pickup or troopy
FJ46 - Does not exist
FJ47 - Does not exist

Some of those "missing" numbers did exist in the diesel version:

BJ40 - Standard, B engine
BJ41 - Identical to a 40, but with a 2B engine, Japan market only
BJ42 - Identical to a 40, but with a 3B engine
BJ43 - Slightly longer than a 40 (~10" or so, I think)
BJ44 - Identical to a 43, but with a 2B engine, Japan market only
BJ45 - Pickup or troopy
BJ46 - Identical to a 43, but with a 3B engine (note that they skipped a number with this one)
BJ47 - Does not exist

HJ45 - Pickup or troopy, H engine
HJ46 - Does not exist (I think...??)
HJ47 - Identical to a 45, but with a 2H engine.

Bottom line - if it runs on gas (petrol) and its longer than a 40, but shorter than a 45, it has to be an FJ43. (Unless its been modified, in which case all bets are off)

Well done Drew.:beer::beer:

I haven't seen anyone attempt this before. (A "see-at-a-glance list" of what we know of the forty-series.)

And, as far as I'm concerned - no vehicle outside of the famous "40 series" really matters! :D

By the way, I think the BJ43 was always fitted with a 2B engine? (Am I right?)

And was the BJ45 always fitted with a "B-diesel"? (Gosh I thought it was a little underpowered for my shorter/lighter BJ40!)

And some people seem to think cruisers in the BJ41, BJ43, BJ44 and BJ46 range were sold "new" in New Zealand. .......... But I'm not aware of this. (But I could be wrong.) I think people (in USA/Canada) who are now sourcing these models fom New Zealand are actually getting vehicles that kiwis have themselves previously sourced 2nd-hand from Japan (or from other countries).

The difference between Australia and NZ (in this regard) is that New Zealand was at the forefront of "importing used vehicles from Japan". We had no "car assembly industry" left to protect (unlike Australia). We also had heaps of old Brittish cr@p (Hillman, Morris, Austin etc) on our roads. And people here (in general) had/still-have lower incomes than those in Australia/Canada/USA. So our government was one of the first to upset powerful car makers like Toyota, Nissan, Ford, Holden etc (by reducing their sales of new vehicles) through its support of the establishment of a big "used vehicle import industry".

As a result of this actively-encouraged industry, New Zealand STILL has a FAR bigger VARIATION of models available of almost ALL Japanese vehicles (cars, 4x4s and trucks) in its "second-hand market" than Australia has. (Note- I'm not talking about the numbers of vehicles for sale - just the choice of different models.)

But the importation of second-hand vehicles has now greatly slowed (while sales of new vehicles must be practically "nil") compared to what it was in the heyday of "used-vehicle-importation".

And those bulk importations that occurred in the 90s have succeeded in dramatically improving the overall standard of vehicles on our roads - So on this basis alone ... it was worthwhile. But Toyota, Nissan and others applied considerable political pressure to stop the 2nd-hand imports at the time and threatened not to supply replacement parts for them (for a considerable period longer) until they found our government wouldn't cave in to their pressure.

We have also upset overseas Governments recently by allowing "parallel-imports". That means for instance that someone can import something (say - an Apple iPod) from a cheaper source (say -Singapore or wherever) and there is nothing the manufacturer can do to stop it (through exercising NZ marketing/distribution controls).

Money = power ...... So big manufacturers (like some car-makers and electronics-goods manufacturers) can (and do) pressure their country's government representatives to pressure other countries into providing market-conditions to suit their business interests.

So what I'm saying is that "NZ trod on quite a few toes" with its pioneering of "big-scale used-vehicle importation". And as a result, there are few countries in the world with a more diverse range of vehicles available in their second-hand markets than what we have.

....... :cheers:

What no heater??? LOL

I Think FJ42 has existed
It is a short model with F engine but only in 2 Wheel drive ( 4x2 ) for the middle east

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom