Is this feasible? (one-off, oddball tow) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I am trying to put together a plan to get a clean California body (+/- frame) to Edmonton to build my 62 back into something pretty.

Here's the plan that is currently rattling around in my head. I welcome opinions on if it is doable, and suggestions for improvement.

Limitations:
-my 62 is all I have to work with for a tow vehicle
-I don't have a lot of money to throw away on the haul plan, the valve-body, and ATF cooler are things I would like to add regardless, the trip would be a good excuse to explore some in the southwest, and I may be able to piggy-back the trip on fieldwork to Utah or Oregon (gas covered for a good part of the trip ;))

So here is the proposed math:

My truck (trust me, there is lots of rust hiding under the snow, salt and grime), add to it some tranny goodies (extreme valve-body with 3rd lock-up, and ATF cooler)
RS08a.jpg
extreme valve body.jpg
tranny-cooler-parts.jpg

Get a cheap old boat trailer (3500 lb axle and surge brakes if I can find one), make some brackets to mate with the spring hangers on a 62 frame, go to California and pick up clean body.
WM2513113193.jpg
DSCF3287.jpg

Load it up and head back to Alberta. Will I be a happy monkey? Or is the a recipe for frustration?
towrig.jpg
California to Edmonton, AB, Canada - Google Maps-1.jpg

Last edited:
YEP that will work and you could pitail your tail lights on the truck so it would have lights!! :idea:

True, but I think backwards with the front sheet metal inside would work best for trailer length and center of gravity.

watch the tongue weight and balance as you load you new parts truck, backwards would probably work better. looks like a cool idea for a transport. long trip

Hey would'nt the boat trailer have the necessary lights on it anyway??????

I did something kinda like this once. Had a 60 frame and body that needed to be hauled but the axles had been yanked. A pair of 8' long 2x4's will set into the front and rear spring hangers, then a lag bolt can be screwed in to hold them. With that setup I was able to drag the frame and body, using the 2x4's as sliders, onto a trailer.

Instead of a boat trailer I'd find a regular flat decked trailer.

Thinking out loud... (dangerous stuff)

The FJ60 body & frame looks like a trailer kinda. It has taillights. It has a "tongue" (bare rails out front). It just needs a hitch coupler bolted between the front bumper mounts, and a rear axle on some old leaves. With no engine, trans, transfer, shafts, steering, frt clip.... There shouldn't be that much weight left. Anything heavy can go at the extreme rear of the trailer or in the backseat of the towtruck. :hillbilly:

go for it!

if your gonna do that trip you should go done through victoria and into the states on the ferry, then down through the olympic peninsula and maybe do a bit of the coast. could even get some surf in on the oregon coast on the way there! kind of a circle making it a longer trip probally coming back through montana, but for all the extra terrain youll see you should take advantage of it.
we bought a 80 series in las vegas and took it to the grand canyon, up to salt lake city then west past portland up to victoria and finally back to calgary last august. it was long trip, but worth it. and a good oppurtunity to visit friends.

Thinking out loud... (dangerous stuff)

The FJ60 body & frame looks like a trailer kinda. It has taillights. It has a "tongue" (bare rails out front). It just needs a hitch coupler bolted between the front bumper mounts, and a rear axle on some old leaves. With no engine, trans, transfer, shafts, steering, frt clip.... There shouldn't be that much weight left. Anything heavy can go at the extreme rear of the trailer or in the backseat of the towtruck. :hillbilly:

go for it!

I like thinking out loud, but I see three problems with that. The practical one is too much tongue weight (I would think anyway). Also, the axles are staying in California, I understand them to be slated for another project. I think this jury-rigged set up may attract unwanted attention from the Po-Po and/or border guards. If it was a short haul, I would give it a try, but it would be ~1800 miles......

I did something kinda like this once. Had a 60 frame and body that needed to be hauled but the axles had been yanked. A pair of 8' long 2x4's will set into the front and rear spring hangers, then a lag bolt can be screwed in to hold them. With that setup I was able to drag the frame and body, using the 2x4's as sliders, onto a trailer.

That I like to hear.

Instead of a boat trailer I'd find a regular flat decked trailer.

That would be simpler, if I can find one to borrow I should go that way (I know a guy who uses a suitable one to haul his hovercraft, but I'm not too optimistic on him lending it out...), my thought on the boat trailer is that one would be lighter and cheaper get ahold of.

If you have it on a trailer with a wooden deck it's then a real simple matter to screw down some blocks to keep it from shifting. Still gotta use straps or chains.

I towed this configuration 700+ miles with a FJ60 that had a tired 2F so I know it'll work, and this was another body/frame that went to Canada.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom