Is this common and how to fix? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.landcruiserdc.com
I am looking at 99-02 LC and it seems all that I am looking at the molding/stripping that runs along the lower part of the vehicle ie. both doors, front and rear panel is peeling and looks bad. Is this easy to fix? Or am I being too picky about this? It seems spotty and faded on all of them. All of them have around 100K miles on them.

Thanks, Cody

This is very common. Sand and paint is the way to fix.

Mine is doing the same same thing. It's not real bad though. If you don't plan on putting lockers in it, I wuld buy the 2000-02. These should have Active Traction which works well offroad.

some have even done some roll on bedliner which looks great. I wouldnt be discouraged by that, there are much more important physical things higher up on the list of costly repairs to check for first.

You talking about the rocker pannels? Mine were doing the same thing on my 99LX. Just hit 100k. Seemed odd as it's been in Beverly Hills most of it's life. All the body shops wanted $1k to pull and repaint. They were driving me nuts but then my buddy who is a Toyota Master Tech for a dealership took it into their bodyshop for me and got the discount. $400.

I'm in the wrong business.

Now I'm gonna sell it as I'm moving back to PHX and only needed this for a winter rig. Been sweet though. Too bad I'm gonna loose my shirt selling it too.:eek: Figures.

yes, pretty common. Easy to DIY fix with a rattle can.

Mine had the same problem. There are a few threads on this. I sprayed mine with Dupli Colors spray on bedliner. Couple hours and it looks good.
IMG_1022.JPG

Hey Pint, that looks really good. Going to look at a 01 tomorrow in Denver. Looks to be in good shape at a little over 100K. Timing belt has not been changed yet he said it will be fine for awhile. He says it gets serviced at Slee off road and they said that is ok. But after reading here it sounds like it should be done quickly. how much less should I offer to compensate for this to be done?

Thanks

I sanded mine with super fine steel wool and a little oil. took off all the top layer to match the overall color of the molding.

I had mine repainted to match the rest of the body when I was having some other body work done. Cost me $250.00. That's how Toyota should have done it from the start. I need to get the bumpers painted to match one of these days.

Hey Pint, that looks really good. Going to look at a 01 tomorrow in Denver. Looks to be in good shape at a little over 100K. Timing belt has not been changed yet he said it will be fine for awhile. He says it gets serviced at Slee off road and they said that is ok. But after reading here it sounds like it should be done quickly. how much less should I offer to compensate for this to be done?

Thanks

I try to get $1-$2K off so you can have the 90K done.

Thanks

Ask your local dealer for the cost to change timing belt water pump and all the seals and belts. Then deduct from the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom