Is this caliper bad? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Dealership did an alignment and tire rotation, shortly after I heard some excess noise from the rear driver’s wheel. They also noted I needed brakes so that I can handle.

Swapped all four rotors and pads and shims and went for a ride, noise still present. It sounds like something is rubbing the wheel as it turns.

Removed wheel to check for obstructions and none present. Remove caliper and notice it moves extremely easily. Bad video since I don’t have three hands but it’s pretty obvious how easy it is. The other side had no free play.

That’s not your issue. The caliper slides side to side on pins bolted into the caliper bracket so that as the outside pad wears it can change position to make up for that wear. It is moving in the way it is expected to, though for it to move that freely suggests the pins aren’t greased like they should be. Or maybe the rubber isolators the pins slide into aren’t in place..

Yeah, I’m thinking it’s something with the e-brake now. I lifted up the rear with the caliper off and spun the other wheel and it’s still making some noise. The boots had popped off but I fixed them after the video.

It might be the backing plate hitting the rotor. So that's another thing to check. It's a common problem, even with little rust.

Keep those backing plates rust free. They are tough to replace.

And expensive! I’ll tear it back down tomorrow. I did push on it to be sure it wasn’t bent but I’ll give it a better look. Thanks everyone!

And expensive! I’ll tear it back down tomorrow. I did push on it to be sure it wasn’t bent but I’ll give it a better look. Thanks everyone!

It swells because of rust and begins to contact the lip of the disk. It scrapes around the area where the red arrow is. Stole these pics from another thread and added the arrows

Screenshot_20220629-122819_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20220629-122252_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20220629-122442_Samsung Internet.jpg

Yeah, found the spots. They aren’t really rusty except for surface dust. I’ll try
639921F7-D5CE-4972-9757-FE7C19FD0327.jpeg
3A18AC07-6161-46D2-B1E7-AA831AB30CA1.jpeg
hitting it with a dremel.

I think the issue is your rotor. Are they genuine Toyota or aftermarket?

Personally I’d try taking the lip off the rotor rather than compromise the otherwise perfectly good backing plate.

Also, check closely for end-play at the axle shaft. If it is walking in or out at all it can allow rub. Seems unlikely without other signs of bearing failure but possible.

Axle is solid, I’m attempting to dremel down the rotor lip but it’s slow going. Genuine Toyota rotors.

Axle is solid, I’m attempting to dremel down the rotor lip but it’s slow going. Genuine Toyota rotors.
You probably only need to take off a few thousandths... possibly justify investing in a 4.5" angle grinder and some flap disks.

Yeah, I’ve only got cut-off wheels, I’ll pick some up. Thank you.

My rotors are original from toyota and I had the same problem. It isn't the rotors but the backing plate. It rusts and swells, not at the point of contact with the rotors, but at the center between the two plates. The plate is pushed into the rotor as a result. I grinded the lip of the rotor by about ⅛" to solve the issue. Supposedly toyota fixed the issue a while back by decreasing the lip, but I purchased my rotors a few months ago and they still had the same dimension at the lip as the previews ones.

Are you sure the sound is only present when turning? I’ve got an issue with new OEM rotors where after I’ve been driving for about 30 minutes I start to get what sounds like a chirp or rotational grinding from the rear. No rust at all, but I am starting to wonder if I need to grind my rotor slightly. Wheel bearings are 10k old and solid.

I had the same problem on my 100 series rear. A few bangs with a BF-hammer on a brass drift moved the offending part of the backing plate enough to solve the issue permanently. New backing plates are a more expensive alternative that will also solve the problem.

So we are going to throw the rotors on a lathe tomorrow and take that lip down.

On a somewhat related note is this “V” shaped clip available in a parts kit? One of my fronts is missing one.

0999E90C-5F44-4956-B151-1199B84EB526.jpeg

On a somewhat related note is this “V” shaped clip available in a parts kit? One of my fronts is missing one.
47748-60280

So we are going to throw the rotors on a lathe tomorrow and take that lip down.

View attachment 3104223
It also comes in a Centric front brake hardware kit, in case that is easier to get.

Rotors done. Wouldn’t fit on the lathe so had to mill it the slower way.
BAFF9D31-69F7-4300-87F3-58D2C51D9EB2.jpeg
Took off about 3/16” which was just shy of E-Brake pad contact. Squeal gone. Thanks everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom