Is this an issue? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dianna

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi guys, my pinion nut was extremely loose. I can't find anything that shows how much play, if any, there should be in the rear pinion. Any advice moving forward is greatly appreciated.

You need to torque the nut on to check for free play. Should have a little when you twist it (gear backlash), no side to side or in- out. I think the torque is 90 ft-lbs. figure this out before you put a new seal in. Bearing preload can be changed with shims that go in between the bearing and the pinion shaft. The bearing has to be pulled out to get to this. Seal has to be removed to get bearing out.

The pinion bearings are cups and cones and when you install the universal flange and tighten the nut it pulls the Cups (bearing rollers) into the cones (bearing outer race) and tightens it all up.
2nd note.....Tightening the pinion nut.....Not knowing what year FJ40 you are working on, I don’t know if you have a crush sleeve or shims that set the pinion bearing preload. The video shows course splines so I’m going with shims (old school). When you tighten the pinion nut you want to keep tightening until it take about 10 lbs of force to rotate the pinion. I think most repair manuals call out a fish scale to measure. But you can generally do it by feel...10 lbs isn’t real tight but you will feel a good resistance to rotation. Whatever you do, try not to use an impact gun. I’ve seen some so tight it squishes the shims out and you loose your preload and your pinion adjustment (to the ring gear).

Thanks so much guys. I'm headed out to work on it now and will update. Much love to my Mud family for always helping me out! <3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom