Is this an Aisin Water Pump? need help! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just swapped my original out for an amazon aisin a couple weeks ago. Comparing them side by side all they did was grind off the Toyota and slap an aisin sticker on there. They probably did a Toyota batch and used some of those castings to send out as aisins. Why else would there be actual grinding marks under the sticker?

Yep, I have received several Aisin parts with the Toyota ground off.:meh:

Noah, that looks EXACTLY like the Aisin pump I got from rock auto, and put on my 95 a few months ago.

It looks legit. Beno is wrong, there is nothing to suggest it's not a 1fz-fe pump from the pics you provided.

Run it. Don't sweat it. The original waterpump on my truck had 257k miles, and minus the ground off Toyota logo looked IDENTICAL to the rock auto Aisin one.

cool thx Brett, good to know, sorry never got back to you from your vm, been busy with the new baby coming, we gotta get together soon......

I'm glad i found this thread. Not for my land cruiser but for my old toyota pickup. I'm pretty sure the old water pump is a aftermarket cause i know the guy used advanced auto for everything. The fins look different. They are not as big but look more heavy duty and not cheap.
WP_20150124_005.jpg

^Old one

There might be the outside 1/4 circle of a TEQ right below the aisin sitcker
WP_20150124_003.jpg

^New one

At the price difference between Toyota parts and Aisin box parts, I can't see any incentive to conterfeit them. $1000 Gucci hand bags and $200 Oakley sun glasses, yes..

Aisin is a global company with manufacturing sites all over Asia, like in Thailand, Taiwan and China, so it is hard to imagine someone being able to under cut their pruduction costs.

The reason that the "TEQ" is ground off is because of liability as well as intellectual property issues.

For all intents and purposes, if it is not in a Toyota box or bag, then it ain't a Toyota part and will not come with any Toyota part warranties for the part or the labor for that part.

That there is an Aisin part sold by XXX.

:)

With the great discounts MUD members get via this forum, I don't understand why anyone would not go with OEM toyota replacement parts for critical parts. In my 25 years of owning these trucks OEM toyota is the only was to go to ensure the reliability that we purchased a land cruiser for. Just my two cents.

Because there is no significant difference in the pump that Aisin makes for Toyota which comes in a red box and the one they sell under their own name in a blue box. The only difference is the Teq brand mark of Toyota parts.

Because there is no significant difference in the pump that Aisin makes for Toyota which comes in a red box and the one they sell under their own name in a blue box. The only difference is the Teq brand mark of Toyota parts.

The only actual difference is that you can never confirm where the pump or components were manufactured in an Aisin blue box.

Aisin is not required to divulge that information while Toyota is required by law to divulge manufacturing information of spare parts and components.

Assuming you get the real deal. You don't always know what your getting from all the third party vendors out there. Any warranty for the aisin parts not purchased through toyota?

Assuming you get the real deal. You don't always know what your getting from all the third party vendors out there. Any warranty for the aisin parts not purchased through toyota?

1 year, unlimited miles. Limited labor coverage as well.

This may not be the case unless you take one apart and take a look at the seals and bearings used. It could easily be a shell that is then assembled by a non-Aisin company using non-Toyota spec'd components.

Someone needs to buy one and take it apart so we can put this to bed.

This may not be the case unless you take one apart and take a look at the seals and bearings used. It could easily be a shell that is then assembled by a non-Aisin company using non-Toyota spec'd components.

Someone needs to buy one and take it apart so we can put this to bed.

No one would ever do this because there is no money to be made doing it. Aisin can beat them just by making the same pump they make for Toyota.

they grind off the mark or logo so there are no conflicts between manufacturers and suppliers....if you buy stuff from IMC or world pac, most of the factory parts have toyota logo ground off!

Coming from the manufacturing world I can tell you companies always do this. Hell, we've done this. We OEM the shell of something and another company inserts their own brushless motor, their own resistor ID, their own connector, whatever.

I can buy a $100 drill press that looks just like 22 other companies drill presses. All the same except for the color. Some may use a different handle, different belt material, sealed bearings, laser markings, etc.

The Amazon Aisin could absolutely be 100% identical in every way to OEM, or it could use one or two different internal components and then bulk sell them to distributors on Amazon for pennies on the dollar.

All the units that didn't pass our inspection for our own usage got sold off as a package price to other companies that wanted to build their own motors. Those didn't get our laser etching.

Those that are making assumptions about the authenticity of this one clutch clearly do not understand high volume manufacturing and OEM pricing practices.

What I think what you are forgetting is volume. There just isn't that much demand for replacement water pumps for a vehicle that is 18-22 years old as there is demand for drill presses. They sell maybe 100-200 a month world wide and maybe a lot less. Then they have the up front development costs of setting up a production line, while Aisin can just pull a part off the shelf and sell it for less because they don't have to amortize all the development costs.

There is no money in knock off replacement parts as long as the OEM parts are reasonably cheap. There is money in selling Gucci hand bags and Oakley sunglasses because the originals are expensive and they will sell millions of knockoffs.

Last edited:
but I believe the difference here is that aisin actually makes the complete water pump FOR toyota, which makes a difference. I may be wrong though, but that was my understanding. I have always had good luck with all the aisin products.

The red box: ~$130. and 1 year, unlimited miles warranty, limited labor coverage as well.
The blue box: $58.79 from Rockauto, 12 months/12,000 miles warranty.

I have never had the chance to test the warranty on any Aisin or for that matter Denso parts, they have always worked. But have on other brands and have had great results with Rockauto standing behind their products.

Examining both, IMHO, the biggest difference is box color. Have replaced a couple of 1FZ water pumps, but haven't seen a bad/failed one and several that we work on are in the ~300k mile range. So, if you are burning cash replacing it as "PM", likely best to burn as much cash as possible?:hillbilly:

My guess: Aisin makes a large production run of 1FZ pumps, Toyota commits to a quantity of them and those go into the red boxes. The rest get the Toyota ID ground off, go into blue boxes and are sold through the wholesale network. The wholesale network is likely much more efficient, works on a lower margin, they don't need to support taj mahal type buildings, massage chairs, coffee counters, barber shops, car washes, etc, that dealers do.

water pumps sold at vatozone, from my experience have a 20-30% return rate...meaning our neighbors or overseas cheap a$$ suppliers don't have the pride and workmanship nor the quality in their products...they just care about making $$$ on the crappy parts they sell to greedy stores in the US. Aisin from my experience have a return rate of less than 1%.....that one percent is install error or people cheap out on the gaskets or use the wrong gaskets...from the 1% maybe half of those are actual manufacturing defects...maybe!! The way japanese companies operate and the way greedy american companies work and operate are completely different. The Japanese take great pride in their offerings while the Americans just want to make money! That is the difference..also, how they treat their employees. Japanese companies offer instant pay raises if a employee had a child...American companies, well atleast the one I work for...manipulates the time clock to keep operating costs down...I am really bummed that they would do this to me...makes me not really want to care for the company...which is really really sad!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom