is this a mud member rig by chance (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
found these by accident , hope they made it out alive 77 year model
IMG_0962.jpg
IMG_0966.jpg
IMG_0963.jpg

Indiana is where I found it , I dint see any hazmat decals like they put on others when there's a death in one , I was trying to fig what all I could use off it for my build

Quote from @OTRAMM : "Jim was an awesome guy. They had just flown out to buy the 40 and were driving it back to VA. It's really sad this happened. He was super excited about the new truck."

... as I understand : Both Jim & his wife perished in the terribly unfortunate, fluke accident; where, their brand-new to them '78 (perhaps '77) FJ40 likely fully stalled in their travel lane on the local county highway they were on that night (9:50 PM). It was then unwantingly struck by a 19-yo, driving a Camery, who came unexpectedly upon the stopped '40 and was unable to avoid it in time - effectively rolling the '40 down the immediately adjacent steep embankment; where, it ended-up on its roof.

If this was the case, I can not begin to imagine the truely awesome distraught the 19-yo & his own immediate family must have succumbed to; as well as that of the seller of this '40, who obviously recently rebuilt it just prior to selling it to Jim (we can tell by the fresh looking Freeborn red paint & bright engine components). And of course the natural pain Jim's family, and that of the Land Cruiser family, here, most obviously had gone through. ~msp

Last edited:
dang!

One thing that often worries me about a fresh restoration(from almost anyone) is they are often sold before they have a chance to work any bugs out, which may have saved Jim and his wifes life. Not sure if this is the case here but it may well be.

dang!

One thing that often worries me about a fresh restoration(from almost anyone) is they are often sold before they have a chance to work any bugs out, which may have saved Jim and his wifes life. Not sure if this is the case here but it may well be.
Very Easily could have been the case - Jim & his wife being in their mid 50's, driving their just acquired, brand-new to them vintage vehicle cross-country well into the night, trying to make it back home (Virginia) prior to that next day; and at the dark of night, likely on a 2-lane, rural road, the vehicle, still very unknown to them, simply quits on them. ... That indeed could have been the simple case. ... And Should Most Definitely Be A Lesson To Be Kept In Mind Here. ~Skydog

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom