1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is this a leaky oil pan?

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by concretejungle, Feb 9, 2004.

1. concretejungle

concretejungle SILVER Star

Tried to get the best pics i could of the leak so here goes.

2. concretejungle

3. concretejungle

one more. This bottom seam is where the oil seems to collect.

4. tenncrusher

tenncrusher

Looks like the rear main.....

5. robbie

robbie Guest

If you pull the plastic cover and look at the crank you will be able to tell for sure. To do this you may need a mirror. If the oil is on the crank and the crank is spining the oil around then it is the rear main. If oil is dripping from the bottom of the arch below the rear crank seal then it is the oil pan. You will need to look. I have done quite a few oil pan leaks that are dripping from this area. In the last three year I have only done 2 trucks were the rear was bad as well as the oil pan. IF it is the oil pan you will need the square shaped O-ring at the front of the alum sub pan, and a big tube of fipg from toyota. If it is the rear main you will need the rear crank seal. Shop time on Oil pan about 6 hours, rear crank seal about 8 hrs. robbie

6. Rookie2

Rookie2

Got the same leak going on. I'm gearing up to reseal the oil pans in the next couple of weeks. The only other thing I got (other than some brake cleaner and JB blaster) was new oil level sensor gasket ($1.37). Got an engine hoist lined up so I don't have to lift the engine using the dogwood in the front yard.

R2