1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this a keeper? 1978 FJ40

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by coinless, Aug 17, 2006.

1. coinless

coinless

I found this locally ad says excellent condition, 58k miles, tan with black interior, 4 spd., 4-wheel drive, painted 3 years ago, runs great, tires like new, $9500. Any advise?

2. Silicon 70

Silicon 70

we could use more pics. any rust spots?

3. jackbrad

jackbrad

It should be pretty nice .. for that money.

4. coinless

coinless

5. Fast Eddy

Fast Eddy

In the immortal words of my brother, "A hundred and how many?" If they were flat towing it with that towbar, they might have disconnected the driveshaft for who-knows-how-many miles.

It looks nice. How does it drive? Get a compression check and have the brakes inspected. If the engine truly has 58k miles the comp should be 130+ in all cylinders.

The seats look to have been recovered, and the wheels were probably not originally that color.

What's on the dashboard? Some kind of boxes or something? Hmmm.

All the jump seats and seat belts in good shape?

That 'new' paint could be hiding years of rust and bondo. That would be my biggest worry. Ask if they have pictures before or during paint. Was the interior painted too? Check the paint code on the plate on the firewall. Compare the build date based on serial # to the date on the block.

Where is it located? I'm curious about the environment and rust.

I paid around this price for my '78. I think it was a bit too much, but mine is a one-owner truck with documentation and original paint.

6. 89GASHOG

89GASHOG

Looks nice. Check everywhere for rust. Look for leaks. Drive it!

7. Fast Eddy

Fast Eddy

Looks good. That little step under the hitch is '78-only, and rare, so I've heard. I've got one.

8. MoCoNative

MoCoNative

Media:
    Albums:
    Actually the little step came on all 40's from the late 60's on as I recall. My 73 had one of the worthless things. It was to aid in getting in the back doors for passengers. Nice idea, but I have drug the rear end more times than I can count, and the step is just in the way. My dad was the second owner of my 40, I'm the third, he took it off years ago.

This one is hacked up, looks like they put the hitch balls on it with that extra hitch bracket in the middle. Not a very sound setup.

9. 78-FJ40

78-FJ40

Media:
    IF, it truly has only 58,000 miles and there's no excessive rust and you do all the checks mentioned before, then I'd consider it.

Are you wanting it for a daily driver or an off-road rig? If you plan on doing any serious off-road driving, then you'll also have to factor in the cost of lockers, a lift (SOA or other), larger tires, better gearing, a winch, etc.

10. CruiserMax

CruiserMax

Is that paint new or factory? Its hard to tell from the pics but the roof on the hardtop looks like the same color as the rest of the truck? Is that stock?

Max

11. 1973Guppie

1973Guppie SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    $9500 is a bit high I think, for a little more you could get one that is completely restored if you keep you eyes peeled.

Noah

12. Fast Eddy

Fast Eddy

Email me if you find one. :)

13. Trollhole

Trollhole THC Supporting Vendor Moderator

Media:
    Albums:

If you buy that and do what is said above with it I'll personally come out and shoot you myself.

14. Dressen's-Regular

Dressen's-Regular

In the photos it appears that the front wheels have rear hub caps. There is no center hole. Is that correct or is that just the photos?

15. Robert LaDuke

Robert LaDuke

Media:
    Albums:
    Check the area just bellow the 4wd emblem in the rear. Looks like the rust has been repaired but i would want to know how it was repaired . You might get a good idea as to what was done by looking inside the wheelwell . I'd assume a 1 or possibly a 2 in front of that mileage. 2F engine?
    Looks nice! Hope you get it.

16. Lupdog

Lupdog

Does that rear sill look suspect?

17. nspctr1

nspctr1

I wouldn't do it for that money.. As previously mentioned it appears it was towed to a deer lease for who knows how long and going through some pretty rough country. Maybe 5-7 IMHO

18. Volunteer

Volunteer Bayou State Land Cruiser Association

Media:
    Albums:
    Its worth 6/7G if all the metal is there. No fiberglass or aluminum panel replacements. No rusted through areas. Even if it has 158K on it, instead of the 58. Motor mileage is no concern to me as if taken care of they can run 300K. My 70 had 300K on it, and my 67 has 128. Looking at the pics the truck looks like a real find. Personally because the hard-top was painted the same color and the wheels are different wouldn't deter me from buying the truck. I'm not fan of that bumper either, but thats all insignificant things to me and you can add all your personal touches if you get it. Look over the details, if he'll let you meet him at a place where you can put it on a lift an look under it I would suggest it. What part of Texas? I'm in Louisiana and finding trucks that haven't been hacked up and in good stock condition are hard to come by. Its all what you want. Personally I wouldn't hack on any near original rig, I'd buy another one for that. Good luck with your find.

19. FJ40 MNTCRZR

FJ40 MNTCRZR

On marlincrawler.com

1970 FJ40 350, sm465, 37's locked

its trail ready ... sbc and ready to rock and roll ..

price was i think $7500.00.

no relation just passin it on ...

good luck ,,, :cheers:

20. Landpimp

Landpimp

Media:
    no its not.....it was offered on all years of fj40's, there are 2(maybe 3) version of it.......but its far from rare, can buy them new today from Toyota.

the hitch and ball welded to the step......its not OEM ;)

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">