Is this a good snatch block and how are they used? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Not sure how snatch blocks are used? This is a military one that caught my eye for when I get a winch, any thoughts on it?

Thanks
Rob
pulley.jpg

Is that a aluminiom wheel? can it be used with steel winch?

Yes, that definately is pretty. I would prefer the type that Warn sells, the large one.

You use a snatch block to increase your pulling capacity. By running your cable out to a fixed object and your snatch block, you then run your cable back to your own vehicle. Your winching speed is cut in half and your winching strength is doubled, like a block and tackle.

Can you tell us what it is "rated"?

It certainly looks good.

As previously mentioned...a snatch block (or blocks) can be used to double or even triple pulling power.

However, that is not their "only" use. More often, I find myself using mine to make an "off angle" pull.

I am awaiting that answer, The pulley is 8" and I was thinking since it was Military it had to be rated for a good amount? I will be using viking line on it instead of steel cable. $100.00 is how much they are. Looks stout

Roberto

Remember that a snatch block needs to be rated at at least 2x the winch pulling capacity. If you your winch is pulling with 9,000lb, there will be 18,000lb load on the snatch block. This rating should be clearly marked on the snatch block.

You also need to make sure the pulley can accomodate the size of your line. Synthetic lines are normally larger in diameter than their steel equivalent.

Finally, make sure the snatch block easily separates or otherwise has an open "pass through" so you can run your line through it.

Well I bought one and will give more details when I recieve it, The Military surplus store owner said some other compnay tested some identical to this one and said it handled some crazy weight like 300,000lbs before the hook bent? but like everything believe nothing what u hear and half of what u see. I will take better detailed pics when I get it. I will be runninga warn 8000lb so I am sure this will be sufficient? we will c. Thanks for the info fellas.

Rob

Well I bought one and will give more details when I recieve it, The Military surplus store owner said some other compnay tested some identical to this one and said it handled some crazy weight like 300,000lbs before the hook bent? but like everything believe nothing what u hear and half of what u see. I will take better detailed pics when I get it. I will be runninga warn 8000lb so I am sure this will be sufficient? we will c. Thanks for the info fellas.

Rob

300,000 lbs??? that's funny....

I am thinking he added one too many zero's? 75 tons? 30,000lbs sounds a little more realistic. Anyway, whole assembly weighs 9lbs and the pulley is 8" in diameter.

Rob

yaa do you have a link to where it was purchased?

sure is pretty.

I already emailed him to see how many he had incase anyone was interested and this was his last one he said. But the site is www.sprucemtsurplus.com or google military snatch block? never know what u might find.

Rob

Just be aware that although something may look good and beefy, that does not mean anything if one of the pieces of hardware that keep it together is only strong enough for "X" amount of weight.

I would research harder and make sure what you are getting and using is definitely rated for more than you need. The last thing you want is for it to break apart on a pull....Schrapnel!

We lift tons in weight in my job, and the snatch blocks we use are McKissak brand. They don't break. Have a look.

Looks like a pulley for a zip line on an obstacle course to me....... I wouldn't use it.

A snatch block can be used in a number of ways. As mentioned above it is useful for off angle pulls. It can be used to winch a rig that is blocking the trail forward with the winching rig behind it. I've seen a snatch block used twice to stabilize rig's that were broken on an obstacles while repairs were made. In one case the guy used his own winch, attached the snatch block to a tree and the winch line to his his roll cage.

Looks like a pulley for a zip line on an obstacle course to me....... I wouldn't use it.

X2. its unmarked. its not worth the risk. safe recovery isnt about how cool your equipment looks. save your money and get your shackles chromed instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom