is this a good deal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I found this one for sale and wondered if you thought it is a good deal?

1982 TOYOTA LAND CRUISER BJ42. Steel checker plate tub w/ Spencer panels, checker plate driver's side floor, renewed gas tank, new clutch, 3" lift w/ 33" Dunlop Mud Rovers, RS5000s, Bull-bar w/ lights, Warn 24V 8274 winch, new batteries, 24V - 12V converter, pintle hook, roof rack, Best-top soft top and soft half doors, 1980? red hardtop, partially boxed frame, flowmaster exhaust, Saginaw power steering w/ Toyota pump, rebuilt injectors, CRX seats. $7,500.00.

there isn't much rust at all on it and none that I couldn't fix fairly easily. It comes with a hardtop that came from another Cruiser that needs some work and with some other little extras too.
it has 230thousand miiles on it...is that too high?

I am new to Land Cruisers so any help would be great!

Pics would do alot to help with figuring out if it's worth 7500, also location has alot to do with it. From the sounds of it, i'd say it should be worth about the price there asking depending on the condition of the frame/body/drivetrain.

Kevin

Pics X3.

Also, sounds like a lot of diamond plate from the brief description, which makes me think lots of rust... Around here, rusty rigs sell cheap.

side/front shot

I haven't figured this upload thing out yet, so 1 pic. per post is all I can manage....Sorry
blueBJfront jpg.JPG

ok, apparently that is all I can load. I hope thats enough to tell if 7500cdn is a good price. (about 6500 us dollars)

as far as I can tell about the rust, any perforations were taken care of and there now is only minor surface rust on places like the bottom of the doors, etc.

my big question I guess is: 230000miles, is that too many?

My .02 is it's too much money with the amount of rust that is either still on the vehicle or has been removed and replaced with plate on the floors and how good of a job was done during the removal. 230 K is a bit high to me also. I would think somewhere between the 3-5K US range. but again, just my .02

I'd be willing to pay a bit more for a desiel, but is that in the states or Canada or where? I have no idea what 7500 Canadian would come out to.

If it is US, the desiel would add about 1500-2000 to the total of whatever the cruiser was worth. I think the one in the pic isn't worth more than 4ish.

just my .02

Rezarf <><

ok, it is 7500 canadian so about 6400 us, and that is before I haggle with him, so lets say 6000

the mileage is about 375kilometers which is about 230000miles us.

the rust was repaired well. I have pictures he sent of the repair and it seems to be done well. Keep in mind, I am not looking for a totally original Cruiser, just one that will be reliable

Me thinks there is more rust than he has told you, it may just be covered with bondo. Bring a magnet. The paint job is hack, the signals dont go with the bezel.. probably cause the mounts reusted along with the fender. Where is this Cruiser located? Ontario? Check the frame very carefully as well as the rear sill and rear wheel wells... I'd check those rockers too. There is a reason noone drives 20 year old cars in Ontario... they don't exist. eaten by the salt goblins.
Be VERY skeptical.

ok, it is 7500 canadian so about 6400 us, and that is before I haggle with him, so lets say 6000

the mileage is about 375kilometers which is about 230000miles us.

the rust was repaired well. I have pictures he sent of the repair and it seems to be done well. Keep in mind, I am not looking for a totally original Cruiser, just one that will be reliable

375km is a lot, even for a 3B. there are those claims out there that they run fine up to 1,000,000km but these are wrong. rarely will you find in the range you are looking at there that does not need a rebuild.
At least, get the compression numbers. If below 280, it'll need a rebuild.
How does it start? easily from dead cold? or lots of cranking, and smoke? white smoke or blue smoke?
if you want to rebuild it, calculate 1000$ per hole.
cheers,
J

That is not bad

I would pay 7000 for it. the main problem with Canadian FJs is rust.
That floor will out last evrything else. I am planning to do the same to mine . Try to get it for less 6000 will be excellent, but for a Canadian fj 7000 is not a bad deal. I advice you to get a hard top on it as soon as possible. The soft top is the reason I have to do alot work to mine. You won't go wrong with diesel , I know people here that swear by it. And that is nothing for mileage on a 3B.

Vic ( Canada NB)

I would pay 7000 for it. the main problem with Canadian FJs is rust.
That floor will out last evrything else. I am planning to do the same to mine . Try to get it for less 6000 will be excellent, but for a Canadian fj 7000 is not a bad deal. I advice you to get a hard top on it as soon as possible. The soft top is the reason I have to do alot work to mine. You won't go wrong with diesel , I know people here that swear by it. And that is nothing for mileage on a 3B.

Vic ( Canada NB)

yes, the 3B is a great engine. To say this mileage is nothing is simply urban legend and not true. 230,000 miles is a lot. chances are it'll run for another 100,000, if it ha sbeen cared for well. If not,it is very close to a rebuild. Only a compression check and leak down check will tell you for sure.
Don't fall for the 'the 3B will run for a million miles w/o problems' nonsense!
J

it passed air-care too. and it is from vancouver B.C.

I think it is a fair price, unless there is some real bad rotted spot.

Just try to find a other Bj42, under 10k just for fun.

That exact same rig in Quebec is near 10k easy

The millage means people drive them , in Canada most gas ones are junk with less than 100k kms on them. I put a 22r in my truck with 465K kms on it , it is still going strong after 4 years , not leaks inside or ouside, MANTANACE is the key to these engines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom