Is this a good buy? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Extended shackles raise the truck half the added length, but don't fix worn out springs. It's a temporary fix to lift. If the springs are flat or near flat, get new springs. If the shackle angle is greater than 45*, get longer shackles.

If you want a lift, get new springs. Shackles are a band-aid and usually give you subpar shackle angles unless correcting for longer length springs.
So should I install a lift kit, and then install shackles if they're not at a desired angle?

Sorry If I sound like a moron, probably not hard to tell. Not to sure what I'm doing, just handy with tools.

Yep - if your intention is to raise the vehicle, whether for looks, fit a bigger tire, looks, more room to flex, looks, or brag to your friends, the method is lift springs. Stock length shackles are fine for 2.5" lift but if you go with 4" (from skyjacker) you'll want extended shackles.

I know I said other brands are better, but for simplicity sake, best to give a ring to @cruiseroutfit and they will set you up with a 2.5" lift that just needs to be installed. If you need more than 2.5" you need skyjacker or rough country springs or something custom.

Yep - if your intention is to raise the vehicle, whether for looks, fit a bigger tire, looks, more room to flex, looks, or brag to your friends, the method is lift springs. Stock length shackles are fine for 2.5" lift but if you go with 4" (from skyjacker) you'll want extended shackles.

I know I said other brands are better, but for simplicity sake, best to give a ring to @cruiseroutfit and they will set you up with a 2.5" lift that just needs to be installed. If you need more than 2.5" you need skyjacker or rough country springs or something custom.
Shoot, looks like I have to return the shackles then. Thanks for all the help!

Anyone who has a4 inch lift, what did you buy? I am trying to figure it out, and I am not to familiar I'm this field.

I have run a Skyjacker 4" lift for the past 15 years and also got their replacements when I broke a spring

leaf springs sag soon enough, so 4" will be like 2.5" in no time

I’ve researched this, and I will probably go with a skyjacker 4 inch lift down the road. What I’ve found in my research is OME 2.5 inch lift is good for 33x10.5 tires while the skyjacker is good for 33x12.5 lift. Each one of those looks really cool IMO. OME is generally softer from what I’ve read, but skyjacker is pretty soft too apparently. I leaned rough country as well just because of the price, but I was informed that suspension is something you will keep for years or even decades, so best not to cheap out on it

4 inch is more tippy, especially if you add a roof rack but you can fit the wider tires. 35s will need fender cutting in both lifts

you don't want 12.5 wide tires, they wander more than 10.5s

Shoot, looks like I have to return the shackles then. Thanks for all the help!

buy the shackles from 4Plus (=@lcwizard here on MUD) - his stuff doesn't break (trust me, I have mangled every part of the suspension)

I recommend his anti-inversion shackles - I also recommend his U-bolt plate flip kit, while you're at it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom