Is this a coolant leak? Heater core? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Some clear fluid is dripping when I start the truck up... I caught it on video, and it appears to be coming from behind this metal plate, which is attached to the firewall, in the back of the engine bay. Is there a coolant line there?

Video below is from under the truck, right front.

Pic below is looking down in the engine bay, on the right front.

(Editing post: I found someone else who had the same issue: Help identifying coolant leak - https://risingsun4x4club.org/xf/threads/help-identifying-coolant-leak.28489/)

Spot.jpg

Last edited:
That is the AC condensate drain, should just be water.
Wow, that would be a very happy result. The fluid does seem like water. I put a plastic bucket underneath, and tasted it. No taste. Only thing I don't understand is why there would be any condensate given it's 55 degrees out now. Granted, it's very humid out. And it's dripping pretty quickly after I start it up.

Just keep in mind that antifreeze is poisonous so tasting automotive fluids may not be the best...

Wow, that would be a very happy result. The fluid does seem like water. I put a plastic bucket underneath, and tasted it. No taste. Only thing I don't understand is why there would be any condensate given it's 55 degrees out now. Granted, it's very humid out. And it's dripping pretty quickly after I start it up.

Temp doesn't equate to condensation. Dew point does.

Ac works on defrost setting

I don’t think the light turns on for a/c on the dash but it engages.

I alway have a huge puddle from the a/c condenser under my truck.

I don’t think the light turns on for a/c on the dash but it engages.
I don't believe that is the case for all years.

My 96 LC (8/95) does NOT cycle while defrost is on and I used to think ALL vehicles newer than about 1985 cycled when turned to defrost.

If I need to defrost my windshield in the winter, I need to actually push the AC button to get mine to turn on.

If I was a betting man, this change probably took place on the 96 LX and all of the 97's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom