Is this a '69 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking at a 69 FJ40. Owner claims it is all original with the exception of the wheels, front bumper and steering column (Chevy). He is asking $20k and I am wondering if this engine is from a 69. Can anyone tell just by looking at it? If not, what info do I need to verify?
Is it common to swap with Chevy columns? How easy is it to swap it back? Cost?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

IMG_0049.JPEG

That is not the original engine for 1969. It should be an F motor, and that is a 2F with a Weber carb. Not necessarily bad, just not original.

Need many more pics if you want to verify year.

The firewall looks like could be a 69. Do not see the item for the under the dash transfer case vacuum and high low rate shifter. Probably a transmission floor shift as well, possibly four speed. Also see a power steering pump so that been modified as well. Could be a 69 but certainly not stock anymore.

Carb isn’t Land Cruiser. Stock air clraner is missing, the bracket is still bolted on drivers side of head. Intake manifold appear to be wide runner which came on 69’s. Exhaust isn’t stock, those are headers. I don’t think the winshield washer resovoir is a 69. I see a saginaw power steering pump cap, how butchered is the frame near the power steering gearbox?

Got anymore pics?

here are some more pics...

IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

IMG_0047.jpg

IMG_0048.jpg

Interior pics

IMG_0041.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0043.jpg

IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0076.jpg

Like other's have mentioned, quite a few things that don't look stock (I have an early '70). That's a 2F (with no oil cooler) and in '69 it was just the F. The alternator (not a Toyota or Toyota wiring it seems) should be on the lower right of the picture, but is in the right spot for a 2F. It's missing the transfer case vacuum hardware that should run across the top of the firewall and the high-low assembly as well. I see what looks like a power steering pump cap in the lower right and a multi-piece steering column, neither would have been on a '69. I have no idea what that thing in the center right that looks wired to the alternator and looks like it's plumbed to the Weber carb. All that upfront lighting wiring should be coming through the grommet that has nothing through it in the upper left. The battery and clutch master look right and are in the right spots. Brake master looks to be single line, which is correct for for the 4 wheel drum.

Last edited:
Some of that interior is original................except for the lumber under the drivers seat :meh:.As noted above-it's a bit rough.What is hiding under the poorly applied bedliner on the interior?Some people are getting mighty ambitious with their pricing.I think $20,000 on a far away planet maybe:alien:

That frt crossmember has been hacked and patched. At some point it will have to be replaced. There's a lot of stress in that area, especially with the added power steering.

My 69 is pretty much stock and, as others have said, many parts of your rig are not. The rust I see does not look that bad however-mainly surface. Have no idea what a Chevy column is doing in there--that is a sin. I don't think the seats are original either btw. Finally, $20K seems high to me.

Lotsa holes in that dash.

69 with a roll bar and long jump seats? I don’t think a 69 had a roll bar. The PO of my truck (11/69) tired the same thing and there was nothing to support the lower seat section in the down position. He used a block of wood.

Is that a best top soft top?

4 speed instructions on the glove box. No steering damper/stabilizer? Check all three VINs then check it with the Specter Off Road data base. Ask if the seller if the title reflects his or her current address, and if the VIN on the title is the same on the truck.

Doesn't the 1969 have a headlight dimmer switch on the floor?

Last edited:
It should, and it looks like this one does in the second interior pic. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking!

Looks like it has the choke pull, cig lighter, hazards (in the wrong spot), and two chrome jobbies that are probably front and rear heater. So it's missing wipers, vent pull, interior light switch, and throttle. The left side of the dash looks right with the headlights and ignition switch. Do the soft tops have the courtesy light to the right of the glovebox?

Ray, I'll keep bringing the dogs to you for upkeep no matter which truck you decide to take on. This one doesn't seem to fit what you're looking for not just based on what I expressed, but also on what everyone else is seeing.

For the rest of you, Ray and I live quite close to each other in the same weird little township.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom