1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is this 80 worth it?

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by brian, Mar 16, 2004.

1. brian

brian SILVER Star

http://autoti.com/html/Details.asp?CarID=JT3HJ85J9V0168621

it's only about 30 min from me.

looks nice, but the price seems alittle high.
    it's not even SE.

please help the urge to jump is high, but yet the price seems equally as high.

2. erics_bruisers

erics_bruisers

YOu're certainly not getting a bargain -- I would say 13-14 --

eric

3. Landpimp

Landpimp

good news is that it has no roof rack, sunroof thingy and rear window deal-e

4. brian

brian SILVER Star

i might drive down and look at it, but i think i'm going to pass on it. it just seems way high to me.

but a lighter note, i live on the other side of the mt's in the second pic down :D

5. MoJ

MoJ Moderator

Never forget......EVERYTHING's negotiable! It's especially hard for someone to resist a big pile of cash in hand. ;)

6. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

Hey I'm late to the party but does it have diff locks? If this truck does it for you then the hell with the rest of us what do we know? I think it's more important to get the truck you want then the deal everyone else likes. I've posted what I paid for mine a few times, was it a good deal, I could care less, it was the truck for me.

Incidently I seem to be doing more damage than either of the previous owners did :slap:. So buy the truck that's right for you and then DRIVE it. Too many people finally get what they were looking for only to sweat every little thing and never really enjoy the purchase.

7. clownmidget

clownmidget SILVER Star

I'm with Rick, if you use it as intended it will de-value pretty quickly ;) so just get what you want as long as you can afford it (look no further that the price of houses in CA for an analog). Also, get a friend to go look at it before you and low-ball the price so they're not so surprised by your reasonable offer???
    Either way good luck
    MikeR.

8. hoser

hoser SILVER Star

That's about the going rate of comparable Land Cruisers in California. 30 minutes is pretty close. Others will fly 2000 miles to buy a "cheap" LC but in the end, they paid airfare, time off work, fuel, etc. It can take months for somebody to find the perfect cruiser. How much is your time worth?

9. e9999

e9999 You want to do what...? Moderator

Prices I have seen in the PRK have been somewhat comparable, but these were indeed asking prices. You should be able to get it considerably cheaper than that with a bit of haggling.
    I would go and see it anyway if it's close. The more you see the better you will be able to judge them and jump on the right one when you see it.
    FWIW, I paid much less than that for one with less mileage, diff locks and the best color combo ever (2AB! :D) Took me about 4 months to find it though...
    But as was said, if you really like it, a couple of thous more or less won't matter much in a few years....
    E

10. Riley

Riley

If it's got diff locks and good service records and it's the color you want then you know, it's not that far off. I paid something like $18K for mine (which I thought was high) but it was close, in good shape and I liked it. I've never looked back. It's been a great truck.

It looks really nice. Not having the roof rack is worth $500.

I know guys say hey you can get a nice one for a lot less but consider that if you can afford it you are probably ahead in the long run by getting one in really good shape. Figure you'll keep it for 10+ years big deal.

IF no diff locks, forget it. Lot's a reasons to get the guy down in price like no birf service (probably), diff locks won't work (probably unless you know how).

Good luck.

Riley

11. ppc

ppc M Go Blue

Something that is going to help, more so for the archives is when you state what price you paid, state the month, year, location and miles.

12. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

Personally I don't understand any of these posts at all. There is plenty on online resources as far as kelly, Edmunds as such. It's not like your buying a 40 or 60. These 80s are covered by currant publications. A simple FAQ stating what lockers add to the vehicle and then a few typical things to look for and your done.

We're not that much help anyway, the guys on the East coast think they're all over priced elsewhere and the guys in the dry states thinks anything else is a rust bucket. Then again that is the whole idea of those above mentioned publications, to add some santity into buying a used vehicle.