Is this 80 series safe to drive even though there’s a ton of rust? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks around the same as mine did when I decided to do something about it. I have a thread on here somewhere about what I did in detail (you can find it in mt profile).

In a nutshell I scraped all the rust I could get to, hit it with phosphoric acid, and then painted it with Sherwin Williams Macropoxy 646 which I salvaged from a construction job I was working on.

It's a crappy job, but 2 or 3 years later it still looks pretty good under there.

IMG_20180818_112426.jpg

IMG_20180818_163547.jpg

Check every inch of the steel brake lines. They will rust through and you'll lose half your brakes very quickly. Ask me how I know...

Looks around the same as mine did when I decided to do something about it. I have a thread on here somewhere about what I did in detail (you can find it in mt profile).

In a nutshell I scraped all the rust I could get to, hit it with phosphoric acid, and then painted it with Sherwin Williams Macropoxy 646 which I salvaged from a construction job I was working on.

It's a crappy job, but 2 or 3 years later it still looks pretty good under there.

View attachment 2815121

View attachment 2815122
What is that some marine-grade anti-rust coating? gonna make servicing bushings, shocks, or anything that's bolted down tough.

To repeat a previous comment: "Regrettably, Rust Never Gets better"!

pressure wash it

dry it out in heated garage

spray every nook and cranny with Fluid Film.

check your brake lines/fuel lines/rear heater lines, they rust out the quickest and will leave you stranded or without brakes, fuel or coolant.

What is that some marine-grade anti-rust coating? gonna make servicing bushings, shocks, or anything that's bolted down tough.

It is literally a marine coating, Macropoxy 646.

Before I had rusty bolts that didn't come off. Not I have not rusty bolts that don't come off.

It won't kill you, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to do any maintenance on it :hillbilly:

View attachment 2815121

View attachment 2815122
Wow hahaha this is some industrial grade s*** never seen that before I’m assuming you lifted it to do all this right ?

You and @80 Series Al might hook up for beers:

Wow hahaha this is some industrial grade s*** never seen that before I’m assuming you lifted it to do all this right ?
Wheel ramps, and a dropcloth. I pulled the body off the frame a few inches, but I also did all my body mounts at the same time.

Jesus wept. Does it roll in a straight line when driving down the road? Good luck, whatever you do,

Save some time. Beat the frame with a brass hammer like a wild banshee. Let the crumbs fall as much as they can. Then hit it with a needle scaler. This should get most of the loose stuff off.

Go on partsouq and order new brake lines, all new hardware everywhere and then go get it sandblasted. You can then get a good quality coating of your choice on there. Be a great time to replace all the bushings, tie rods, shocks etc at the same time as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom