Is there anyone reputable to do a repaint and fix a few panel blemishes on a LX450? Not in Arizona!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
had a estimate done on my cruiser early this year by the owner of I-17 collision repair here in Phoenix. He's all onboard to fix the passenger rear door where the flare got pulled out, fix a few dings, and do a complete repaint, a color called Adventurine green metallic that comes on a Porsche 911. He gives me a date to bring it in, Oct 4th and he will work it in to his schedule and have it done in a couple months. I bring it in, and after a month goes by, I bring him some parts that I purchased that will also need painted, the Wits End Flare caps and front valance. He then tells me he hasn't touched it and doesn't know when he will possibly be able to work it in and its best I go somewhere else. Great, cruiser has been sitting outside for over a month and im back to square one to find someone to paint my ride and I go pick my cruiser up.

He recommends a few places but when I stop by them, they all tell me the same thing, we don't work on old vehicles, and don't do repaints. Its all about working with insurance companies and quick turnaround and not doing custom work or time consuming work. According to them its hard to find a true body man and from one auto body place, they even suggested I research places to have it done in California, because the market there is saturated with auto body places and it will be cheaper and the competition is higher there to get work.

I don't want Barrett Jackson paint, just a very good repaint, including door jambs and a few body fixes. Where do I begin? Any advise or helpful tips on finding a good place? I will drive it to any state if I can get the work done to my liking. My estimate from I-17 collision was $12,000, so I worked overtime, worked 6 days a week for months, sold 2 project cars, a 69 and 70 AMC Javelin, to fund this dream project and now im dead in the water with a fistful of cash. Please help!!

@kelly saad in Flagstaff

Whatever you do, do NOT go to Augie’s Auto Body in Mesa.

That sucks but seems to be more common. There is a community college near to me here in Oregon that a lot of the old school body guys take “classes” at because they get free use of the paint booth. These are pros that just enjoy having access.

I have a customer right now that we are doing a lot of engine, suspension, and custom work done to it. But the plan is for it to be painted. I refuse to do any body nor paint work. It’s just not in my wheelhouse. But I’ll absolutely do all the prep by removing the glass and taking apart the firewall and fenders and bits and bobs to make it’s done right before sending it to…MAACO near Portland. He’s likely have about $8k total into B&P but the body is very straight so that helps.

I chose I-17 collision off the top 5 paint and body shops rated in AZ from the bumper to bumper radio show/website that I listened to on Saturday mornings.

IDK all the work you need, but Priority Toyota here gave me a estimate of about 6K... another local shop that was the painter of Grave Digger for years gave me an estimate of about 5900. Both estimates included matching 4 rust free champagne doors I picked up (truck is emerald green), some dings, transferring hardware/gaskets. Rear upper hatch rust in the corners, etc. I have a couple of line items to strike from the estimate so I reckon about 5500 or a bit less. Have not bit the bullet on any of this, but neither had an issue with doing the work and are well regarded.

IDK all the work you need, but Priority Toyota here gave me a estimate of about 6K... another local shop that was the painter of Grave Digger for years gave me an estimate of about 5900. Both estimates included matching 4 rust free champagne doors I picked up (truck is emerald green), some dings, transferring hardware/gaskets. Rear upper hatch rust in the corners, etc. I have a couple of line items to strike from the estimate so I reckon about 5500 or a bit less. Have not bit the bullet on any of this, but neither had an issue with doing the work and are well regarded.
I didn't think of taking it to a Toyota dealer. But I'll try them and see what they have to say. I want a complete repaint, including door jambs, rear tailgate and hatch, inside hood etc. As for any real body work I need it is fairly minimal, a ding here and there, a old PS front bumper injury that is pushed in a little on the corner from im guessing a accident before I bought it. The biggest damage that I have is when my PS fender flare got yanked out of the PS rear door and it pulled the mounting hardware with it, leaving a couple holes that need messaged back flat.

One (potential) reason to NOT come to CA for a re-paint is that we have to use more environmentally friendly paints (which maybe aren't as "good" as the unfriendly paints). If I ever get around to a re-paint, I was probably going to go out of state (i.e. NV or AZ). Plus, I assume the hourly labor rate will be cheaper in other areas. But take my word with a grain of salt, since my information comes from someone I follow on IG who took his car from San Francisco to Reno for a repaint for both of those reasons ("better" paint and 1/2 the cost).

You have a point there

I hear Steve Dulcich is good. Don't have an address though. He is in California so maybe too far.

I didn't think of taking it to a Toyota dealer. But I'll try them and see what they have to say. I want a complete repaint, including door jambs, rear tailgate and hatch, inside hood etc. As for any real body work I need it is fairly minimal, a ding here and there, a old PS front bumper injury that is pushed in a little on the corner from im guessing a accident before I bought it. The biggest damage that I have is when my PS fender flare got yanked out of the PS rear door and it pulled the mounting hardware with it, leaving a couple holes that need messaged back flat.
This jogged my memory, my local dealer (which works on anything) did a excellent job on matching a minor repair on my 200. The head guy gave me a detailed tour of his shop. I eat that stuff up.

just browsed through Kelly's work, very impressive. Am in contact with him now, thanks for the recommendation!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom