Is there any people who have front drumbrake FJ60/62/70/73 ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have FJ62 with front drumbrake.
Somedays ago, I catched problem with brake master cylinder.
I completely disassempled master cylinder and found that piston's rubber cup is torn.
So, I asked to toyota and they said not only repair kit(04493-60130) but master cylinder(47201-60330) was discontinued. :mad:
It has 1 1/16" bore (how big diameter!)
To figure out, I tried many things and finally gor US FJ62's brake master cylinder and installed. But it didn't operate well.
That 7/8" bore of master cylinder is for front disc brake land cruiser.
It operates always as sponge pedal although I did bleeding very well.
It's very urgent to me... Is there any people who could help me ?

Last edited:
There are many toyota master cylinders with 1" bore. Supra, 84 4-Runner, 82 4x4 pick up, etc... it's not 1 1/16, but it's better than 7/8" .

Also PM, CruiserDan on this forum, he's a toyota parts guy and will let you know if the part you need is available.

Doc said:
There are many toyota master cylinders with 1" bore. Supra, 84 4-Runner, 82 4x4 pick up, etc... it's not 1 1/16, but it's better than 7/8" .

Also PM, CruiserDan on this forum, he's a toyota parts guy and will let you know if the part you need is available.

Thank you for your answer.
I also tried install 1991 FJ80's 1" bore of master cylinder but it's same result with US FJ62's master cylinder.
I compared my drum brake cylinder with US FJ62's cylinder.
They have same outer length but when compare inside member, length of piston is different.
I suppose it might caused by difference of drum brake and disc brake.
It's very big problem for me......

tcb said:
have you tried the International Tech forum? There might be somebody over there with a fix for you.

Oh, I didn't think about international forum. Thank you !

this isn't much help... but i saw pictures of mounting an 80s (?) GM truck mastercylinder. it looked pretty straight forward. i believe thebore is 1 1/8 "

I seem to recall there is a 1 1/6" bore master off a Toyota truck somewhere in the 90's, but I think the main reason your brakes still feel spongy is because the proper residual pressure valve for the front brake circuit is not there. The drum brake shoe return springs are just simply too powerful to overcome the disc brake-rated RPV in the new master, each time resulting in you having to pump up the brakes to get enough fluid to fill the brake slave cylinders.

The smaller MC bore should only result in you having to push deeper into the brake before you get braking action.

Try installing an inline drum brake RPV (check Summit Racing) in the front circuit. Otherwise you can try your dealer for 47201-60260 as a master cylinder off an FJ70/FJ73. They use the identical brake cylinders as your FJ62.

Dave

beanz2 said:
I seem to recall there is a 1 1/6" bore master off a Toyota truck somewhere in the 90's, but I think the main reason your brakes still feel spongy is because the proper residual pressure valve for the front brake circuit is not there. The drum brake shoe return springs are just simply too powerful to overcome the disc brake-rated RPV in the new master, each time resulting in you having to pump up the brakes to get enough fluid to fill the brake slave cylinders.

The smaller MC bore should only result in you having to push deeper into the brake before you get braking action.

Try installing an inline drum brake RPV (check Summit Racing) in the front circuit. Otherwise you can try your dealer for 47201-60260 as a master cylinder off an FJ70/FJ73. They use the identical brake cylinders as your FJ62.

Dave

Thank you beanz2,
It's absolutely correct !
I asked about 47201-60260 to Toyota Korea, but they said same, discontinued. :mad:
Because Land cruiser was not imported to korea officially, it's very hard to get proper parts.
47201-60260 master cylinder uses same repair kit with my old cylinder.
(I checked this using EPC)
So, I hope can get proper repair kit.....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom