is there an upgrade for D44 to make it as D60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 79 fj 40. 350 v8 stock axels 37's mtr's

I am planning on going to 39's TSL

my mechanic tells me that a the D44 is stronger than stock axels, and if we want we can make the D44 as strong as a D60

is it true?

anybody has done such thing

I rather a pair of D60's

which is a better choice?

D60, without question....money much better spent versus a D44...

If you want some seriously strong FJ40 axles, swap in 30-spline Longfields and inner shafts... http://www.toyotasuperaxles.com - $635 a set. Next weak point will be the lockout and studs, tack on the FROR kit, $150ish IIRC for the knuckle and lockout. Make sure you have Aisin lockouts. Next weak point is the knuckle itself....Marlin has a new 6-stud knuckle coming out, with matching histeer arms...price on the knuckles is rumored at $150 each.

The next weak point will be your rear axle shafts...there is rumored to be some 4340 stuff coming, but haven't heard a timeline yet...guessing $500 a pair for those...

$635+$150+$300+histeer+$500 in the rear = $2000ish and you have zero fab time, zero gear setup expense, and no loss on your existing lockers and gears....

It's a hard call tho...the D60 offers the most for upgradability, but you can't touch a decent built front for $2500, especially if you start to cut down the shafts, add in a locker and gears and setup, and all the fab/install work....

IMO, of course... ;) I've already proven my existing setup can break, even with the chromo inner shafts, but you need to be REALLY hard on it....

Call Jack at CTM and get some 300M shafts made....

I would not spend a penny on Dana 44 or Toyota stuff if you are looking at running 39.5"s....but that is just me.

To each thier own.

Good luck!

-Steve

both options are expensive.

What's the price in a regular D60?

no idea what's a fair price

$800-1200 for a boring front D60, plus delivery.....8-bolt, no locker, stock gearing, no HD shafts, etc...and wide, plan to cut down...

pirate4x4.com, forum, vendorcorner.....highhonda or something has decent pricing.....

cruiserrg said:
Even with all the upgrades possible with a Dana44 you still have ball joints, which are weaker than a kingpin axle thats been maintained.

With a stock 44 this is true...

With the aftermarket 44 being talked about in the above link, you use aftermarket 60 outer goodies, that are not ball joint...

:beer:

No worries...

He sells a lot more than simply those stud kits, and is a very nice guy.

maybe almost a highjack but what do you think of the knuckle upgrade these guys do

http://www.azrockcrawler.com/

tech /drivetrain /knuckle studs

or mention about larger studs from gm . and retapping the knuckles . good or bad or a waste of time . being in canada . this option may save me some money on taxes and duty and shipping .

Last edited:
somethin happend to your link....

Sorry woody but what kind of tires do you run to break all that suff that you mentioned

37" pit bull's now, was 38.5 SX Swampers....

Does anybody knows if the rear disc conversion with full floater conversion form FROR works w/ the rear stock axel of the Fj 40?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom