Is there an import to USA thread with costs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

But, would that cause any restrictions for importing? My idea of logic though is different from the government.

I live in Australia currently and have pondered shipping one across the pond. I'm sure someday I'd move back to the USA and would want to bring one with me. Currently I'm driving a 105 petrol. I picked mine up for $6700 AUD. currently around $4800 USD. I reckon it would be worth it to ship one over. mine is a 1998. I was told the vehicle needs to be at least 20 years old so I have the right year. This thread has been helpful in giving me confidence at having a crack at it someday. Seems the roll on roll off option is the cheapest.

I wonder for those who have picked it up at the port how did you drive it back if you didn't register it yet? Do you get temporary plates?

And if anyone is keen to try it out I'm happy to look at something for you on my end. I live in the Gold Coast/Brisbane area in Queensland.

EPA is 21 years.
DOT is 25 years.

So, from a practical standpoint it is 25 years to do it on your own, without a Registered Importer.

I picked mine up at the port and drove home. Since I had all of the information on my truck, and had previously registered it in my name in Australia, I went to the CA DMV and filed all of my registration paperwork ahead of time. I got a temporary/provisional tag which indicated that all fees had been paid but not all paperwork had been processed (no VIN inspection, e.g.). It was good to allow me to drive the truck for about three months IIRC.

Ah ok. That makes sense then. It’s was a registered importer that said 20 years. Good to know. So in about 5 years 105 cruisers might be making their way to the USA.

Here is my import cost list coming from Costa Rica

COSTA RICA TOTALS
PURCHASE PRICE - $5,671.08
POWER OF ATTORNEY - $119.32
PAPERWORK MESSENGER - $18.70
LAWYER- OWNERSHIP CHANGE - $56.71
NATIONAL REGISTRY - OWNERSHIP CHANGE - $49.14
LAWYER FEE-EXIT PERMIT - $13.26
EXPORT REGISTRATION - $30.00
EXPORT DOCUMENTATION - $175.00
EXIT PERMIT STAMPS - $18.62
SUB-TOTAL
$6,151.83

SHIPPING COSTS

SHARED CONTAINER - $1,500.00
LOAD STRAP CAR - $300.00
COURIER DOCUMENTS - $140.00
TERMINAL HANDLING FEE TAMPA - $100.00
TAMPA TO AUSTIN - $800.00
SUB-TOTAL
$2,840.00

US CUSTOMS FEES

CUSTOMS DUTY - $60.70
CF3299 - $125.00
ISF: IMP SEC FILING - $35.00
ISF CUSTOMS BOND - $40.00
EXAM - $107.50
SUB-TOTAL
$368.20

TEXAS TITLE FEES

TITLE TRANSLATION - $40.00
SAFETY INSPECTION - $14.50
VTR-68-A INSPECTION - $0.00
TITLE APP FEE - $13.00
TEXAS MOBILITY FUND - $20.00
SALES TAX FEE - $90.00
WINDSHIELD STICKER - $50.75
REG FEE - DPS - $1.00
COUNTY ROAD FEE - $10.00
CHILD SAFETY FUND - $1.50
AUTOMATION FEE - $1.00
SUB-TOTAL
$241.75

GRAND TOTAL TO GET A BJ40 FROM COSTA RICA INTO TEXAS AND TITLED IS:
$9,601.78

Really good info. A question or two.

1) I see your CUSTOMS DUTY cost was $60.70. That must have meant that you paid the 2.5% rate for "cars" as opposed to the 24% tax on "trucks"? Just making sure a 60 series wouldn't fall into the "truck" customs duty tax. Big difference in cost there...

2) What is the "SALES TAX FEE" based based off of? Did you pay sales tax on the vehicle when purchased in Costa Rica then pay sales tax again back state side? Just wondering because $90 seems small for sales tax.

Once again, really good stuff in here. Thanks.

Really good info. A question or two.

1) I see your CUSTOMS DUTY cost was $60.70. That must have meant that you paid the 2.5% rate for "cars" as opposed to the 24% tax on "trucks"? Just making sure a 60 series wouldn't fall into the "truck" customs duty tax. Big difference in cost there...

2) What is the "SALES TAX FEE" based based off of? Did you pay sales tax on the vehicle when purchased in Costa Rica then pay sales tax again back state side? Just wondering because $90 seems small for sales tax.

Once again, really good stuff in here. Thanks.
The 25% tax is for two seater trucks not wagons. Sales tax is for bill of sale. The bill of sale on file in Costa Rica was $1,600 so I didn’t argue.

I imported two vehicles from Saudi Arabia... And man it was looooooong until the cars arrived at my door steps...But it was fun experience :rofl:..The joy at the end when you see that LC is priceless ...In fact I'm going to import FJ40 in a few months.
Check my car that I imported, which now I gotta sell it though 😭😭
For Sale - Idaho, 1977 FJ45 LC Middle East Edition

Here is my import cost list coming from Costa Rica

COSTA RICA TOTALS
PURCHASE PRICE - $5,671.08
POWER OF ATTORNEY - $119.32
PAPERWORK MESSENGER - $18.70
LAWYER- OWNERSHIP CHANGE - $56.71
NATIONAL REGISTRY - OWNERSHIP CHANGE - $49.14
LAWYER FEE-EXIT PERMIT - $13.26
EXPORT REGISTRATION - $30.00
EXPORT DOCUMENTATION - $175.00
EXIT PERMIT STAMPS - $18.62
SUB-TOTAL
$6,151.83

SHIPPING COSTS

SHARED CONTAINER - $1,500.00
LOAD STRAP CAR - $300.00
COURIER DOCUMENTS - $140.00
TERMINAL HANDLING FEE TAMPA - $100.00
TAMPA TO AUSTIN - $800.00
SUB-TOTAL
$2,840.00

US CUSTOMS FEES

CUSTOMS DUTY - $60.70
CF3299 - $125.00
ISF: IMP SEC FILING - $35.00
ISF CUSTOMS BOND - $40.00
EXAM - $107.50
SUB-TOTAL
$368.20

TEXAS TITLE FEES

TITLE TRANSLATION - $40.00
SAFETY INSPECTION - $14.50
VTR-68-A INSPECTION - $0.00
TITLE APP FEE - $13.00
TEXAS MOBILITY FUND - $20.00
SALES TAX FEE - $90.00
WINDSHIELD STICKER - $50.75
REG FEE - DPS - $1.00
COUNTY ROAD FEE - $10.00
CHILD SAFETY FUND - $1.50
AUTOMATION FEE - $1.00
SUB-TOTAL
$241.75

GRAND TOTAL TO GET A BJ40 FROM COSTA RICA INTO TEXAS AND TITLED IS:
$9,601.78

I'm curious; who did you use for the customs broker?
I'm pulling together prices on what it would cost to send my truck from Nicaragua to the US. The quote I received was $2200 if I drive it to the east coast and strap the truck down myself in the container. That's just a port to port charge, I'm not sure if there'll be any of costs mixed in with that.
How long did it take for you to get your truck from Costa Rica?

I'm curious; who did you use for the customs broker?
I'm pulling together prices on what it would cost to send my truck from Nicaragua to the US. The quote I received was $2200 if I drive it to the east coast and strap the truck down myself in the container. That's just a port to port charge, I'm not sure if there'll be any of costs mixed in with that.
How long did it take for you to get your truck from Costa Rica?
I used Charles Zeller. He imports and exports out of Tampa. I lucked out that his CR warehouse was in San Jose which worked out good because by friend who was storing the 40 lived only 20 minutes away. Once the shared container was booked it only took a week to get to Tampa and clear customs. From there I had it picked up From Charles Zeller’s US warehouse by a car carrier and delivered to my house.
Only issue we had was my title was lost by FedEx but Charles was able to get a replacement since I signed power of attorney for him to get all necessary permits. Once I had the 40 in my procession I finished paperwork myself to get a Texas title.

I used Charles Zeller. He imports and exports out of Tampa. I lucked out that his CR warehouse was in San Jose which worked out good because by friend who was storing the 40 lived only 20 minutes away. Once the shared container was booked it only took a week to get to Tampa and clear customs. From there I had it picked up From Charles Zeller’s US warehouse by a car carrier and delivered to my house.
Only issue we had was my title was lost by FedEx but Charles was able to get a replacement since I signed power of attorney for him to get all necessary permits. Once I had the 40 in my procession I finished paperwork myself to get a Texas title.
Fantastic, sounds like he knows his stuff. Do you by chance have a contact for him? I'm not sure of the legality of sending a Nicaragua based vehicle out of Costa Rica. I'd like to see what he can work out for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom