Is there a “WTH was the PO thinking” thread? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
…I’ll start one here. I should preface to say that this was not the fault of the gentleman I bought my 40 from - but the previous prior owner who had this truck for years… What the hell were you thinking. I’ll leave these pictures here to tell the story of the “ silicone trigger-happy idiot”

IMG_0637.jpeg

IMG_0639.jpeg

IMG_0638.jpeg

This one is basically what you're looking for.

This one is basically what you're looking for.

Holy crap! Thanks for telling me. Will join.

Well I had to take a break…it was quite a battle getting the oil pan lined up….and then having the ability to thread the bolts back in with a thicker fresher gasket.

Below is the saddle arch at the rear…it’s not buckled out as much as it was prior, but it’s as good as it will get for tonight. Oil goes in tomorrow….pray for me lol.

IMG_0670.jpeg

IMG_0671.jpeg

Haven't done one in a while but remember the torque on these bolts is very low. I use a 1/4" drive torque wrench and doesn't seem more that finger tight.

For projects like this I use a Harbor Freight scissor transmission jack. Bought it shortly after Harbor opened it's first store in Phoenix. Was only $39.99 at the time. Remember a few years back it was $79.99. Now it's $129.99. I've never used it for a transmission, but really handy doing other projects on my own. It would have held the oil pan
in place while you took your time lining up all the bolts.

This thread in 2023 makes me reflect. Back in the days of buying cars/vehicles, the culture was as they age, they lose value. The system here proved that. The vehicles like trucks / FJ 40s etc.. certainly were there. So, people looked at them as value decreasing , BUT, their rugged design allowed modification by owners to do what they want. Now, 2023 , collector value, if this was known then , those PO mods would never be done. So many vehicles are in the same boat.
So, as you progress to get back to stock, whatever, remember The PO never could read future time and realize value.

This thread in 2023 makes me reflect. Back in the days of buying cars/vehicles, the culture was as they age, they lose value. The system here proved that. The vehicles like trucks / FJ 40s etc.. certainly were there. So, people looked at them as value decreasing , BUT, their rugged design allowed modification by owners to do what they want. Now, 2023 , collector value, if this was known then , those PO mods would never be done. So many vehicles are in the same boat.
So, as you progress to get back to stock, whatever, remember The PO never could read future time and realize value.
Nicely stated :)

Haven't done one in a while but remember the torque on these bolts is very low. I use a 1/4" drive torque wrench and doesn't seem more that finger tight.

For projects like this I use a Harbor Freight scissor transmission jack. Bought it shortly after Harbor opened it's first store in Phoenix. Was only $39.99 at the time. Remember a few years back it was $79.99. Now it's $129.99. I've never used it for a transmission, but really handy doing other projects on my own. It would have held the oil pan
in place while you took your time lining up all the bolts.
I really need those… I’m finding out that my harbor freight. Jack and jack stands are all for normal vehicles and start to max out at the very top of the limits on both. At some point I’ll be replacing the suspension and not sure if what I have now will work and giving me enough room to get the springs off, etc.

Another tip is to use zip ties to line it up and hold pan to block as you get a few bolts in. Then cut the ties and finish the job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom