Is there a way to park a car w/o the shocks going bad? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is there a way to keep a car parked/still for a long time with out the shocks going bad? It would appear that if you keep a car motionless for a long while, the shocks will go bad...

Also btw, is there a way to repair shocks that have gone bad because of this?

This is a weird question... how long is the truck going to stay parked?

You can always get some jack stands and lift the frame...

Sooo your worried about the suspension getting weak from the truck just sitting?

Are you going into a time machine and plan on using the truck in the future?

To give an example of car storage; I parked my FJ40 [mostly stock condition] in a garage, disconnected the battery. Period. The old 40 stayed that way for two years while I played in sand land. Came back from Arabia, installed new battery, dumped gas in the carb, started cruiser and drove it. Even the tires were ok after I repressurized them.

To give an example of car storage; I parked my FJ40 [mostly stock condition] in a garage, disconnected the battery. Period. The old 40 stayed that way for two years while I played in sand land. Came back from Arabia, installed new battery, dumped gas in the carb, started cruiser and drove it. Even the tires were ok after I repressurized them.

yeah well unfortunately thats not the case for my FJ80 '91.. Car has been driven but very infrequently and because of that, it now sways from side to side and according to all data, this means that the shocks are bad, and not the sway bar.. This is no surprise because it hasn't been driven very much.. But I'm wondering would leaving it on jack stands keep it in any better condition?

How old are the shocks you're referring to?

The only thing I can think of that will make shocks go bad from non use is pitting on the piston surface. This will act as sandpaper to the seals and cause leaks. This also assumes that the finish on the pistons is not in good shape to begin with.

Just replace the shocks with new ones.

Is there a way to keep a car parked/still for a long time with out the shocks going bad? It would appear that if you keep a car motionless for a long while, the shocks will go bad...

Also btw, is there a way to repair shocks that have gone bad because of this?

I have not tried it, but if I understand the question right...

The problem is that the piston shafts are exposed to air and rust/pit. Couldn't a person grease them up well to protect them in storage and then wipe them down before putting it back on the road?

You do realize 4 brand new factory shocks from Dan is like $100, right?

Just buy new.

Just replace the shocks with new ones.

Exactly. Not like their a million bucks or anything.

Dude, they're just shocks. Just buy new ones. Or remove the shocks when you park the thing. The shocks would be the last thing on my mind. I'd be more worried about fuel/tires/battery etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom