Is there a way to correct speedometer after bigger tires (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have no doubt that your speedo is working, but as someone with an engineering background that has spent more than 1/2 their life working in IT, I have great difficulty with "it's just computer magic".

Out of curiousity, what gear ratio are you running in the 80 series axles under your LX470?

My ratio is 4.88. Funny thing is I also have a software engineering background. I also spent all my life in IT, in addition to developing a software by myself and licensing it to numerous companies. The funny thing about computers, specially black box, if it works leave it alone and if there is a bottom that's says calibrate for larger tire and it works leave it alone and don't worry about it. There is no need to reverse engineer. My 0.02 cents.

I do remember that there is a VSS1 and a VSS2 at some point in the EWD, but I was primarily interested in the branch to the instrument cluster, and not the one for transmission data. Please don't make me trace the line(s) through the EWD again, they make my head hurt.

That exactly why I just pulled the cluster and intercepted and cut one wire and hooked it up.

That exactly why I just pulled the cluster and intercepted and cut one wire and hooked it up.

Yep, I traced it to/through IX1 (although the pin varied between my 06 LX and my son's 00 LC) and intercepted it there. Insert in 1 wire, plus power and ground.

My ratio is 4.88. Funny thing is I also have a software engineering background. I also spent all my life in IT, in addition to developing a software by myself and licensing it to numerous companies. The funny thing about computers, specially black box, if it works leave it alone and if there is a bottom that's says calibrate for larger tire and it works leave it alone and don't worry about it. There is no need to reverse engineer. My 0.02 cents.

Yep, If it works, don't touch it. The real fun starts when the "black box" stops doing its thing. Everyone gets that blank look, and keeps repeating "I dunno, it used to work". Then you can reverse engineer it, or start ordering stuff from this place:

New Orleans Voodoo Shop | Marie Laveau's House of Voodoo

I calibrated my Ultra Gauge for bigger tires and I read the MPH off the Ultra Gauge when I need accurate speed.

We did the same, with a ScanGauge, on my son's vehicle, up until his 1st speeding ticket. The yellowbox got rid of any excuses. Probably wasn't absolutely necessary for ~33" tires. Then again, if I were a sneaky evil dad, I might have the speedometer reading just a hair high now, to prevent further tickets.

I'm a fan of the Yellowbox. I probably went a little above and beyond on my install but it's clean and if I need to access the Yellowbox it's easy.

Yellowbox install

Reactions: jLB
Has anyone had any luck contacting Yellowbox? I have tried multiple times with no response... and I don't like to order with someone who does not respond. Or is there another source?

My wife has been asking for a calibrator just so that she does not have to worry about reading the speed wrong.

Tom

My ratio is 4.88.

Wouldn't your 4.88 gears have your speedometer reading ~19% high (compared to the original 5spd 4.10 gears)

Wouldn't your 38" tires have your speedometer reading ~22% low (compared to the original 31" tires)

19(fast)-22(slow) = speedometer reading 3% low

3% = 1.5mph @ 50mph or 3mph @ 100mph

Last edited:
Has anyone had any luck contacting Yellowbox? I have tried multiple times with no response... and I don't like to order with someone who does not respond. Or is there another source?

My wife has been asking for a calibrator just so that she does not have to worry about reading the speed wrong.

Tom

I ordered from them ~10/2015. Was contacted via email 2 days later verifying details of my order, and asking if I wanted the to pre-program the correction. The package arrived less than a week later.

There were a couple of other places where I found them, (S2000 or BMW site) but they wouldn't have the plug and play harness for a 100 series and weren't any cheaper.

Tom

I have been using True Speed by Superlift for several years with excellent results.

I ordered from them ~10/2015. Was contacted via email 2 days later verifying details of my order, and asking if I wanted the to pre-program the correction. The package arrived less than a week later.

There were a couple of other places where I found them, (S2000 or BMW site) but they wouldn't have the plug and play harness for a 100 series and weren't any cheaper.

Hmmm.... if you look at their website it is very out of date and references and v4 but v5 on the sales page. I have tried contacting 4 times since April with no response. I could just order and see what happens but I just don't feel comfortable if they cannot even respond to an email.

And the superlift does not appear to be made any more although I did previously find one on eBay so I may start looking there again.

Last edited:
Hmmm.... if you look at their website it is very out of date and references and v4 but v5 on the sales page. I have tried contacting 4 times since April with no response. I could just order and see what happens but I just don't feel comfortable if they cannot even respond to an email.

And the superlift does not appear to be made any more although I did previously find one on eBay so I may start looking there again.

As part of their email us link suggests, try a different email address to send from (perhaps yours isn't making it to them?).

staff@yellr.com

Yellow Box question -- from YB page

Please note, we usually respond to all emails within 24 to 48 hours. If you have not received our email response within 48 hours please resend your original email, or resend from a different email address. Thank you.​

Yup... did that too. One GMail, one outlook.com and both did not receive a response. But my original question still stands... has anyone (recently) been able to get in touch with them?

I am going to try again because I really would like to buy one. Hopefully I will hear back this time!

Yup... did that too. One GMail, one outlook.com and both did not receive a response. But my original question still stands... has anyone (recently) been able to get in touch with them?

I am going to try again because I really would like to buy one. Hopefully I will hear back this time!

Yes, sent an email this evening asking about ordering another box for my nephew's truck and heard back less than an hour later.

Same here :D

upload_2017-7-19_5-36-19.png

Last edited:
Wouldn't your 4.88 gears have your speedometer reading ~19% high (compared to the original 5spd 4.10 gears)

Wouldn't your 38" tires have your speedometer reading ~22% low (compared to the original 31" tires)

19(fast)-22(slow) = speedometer reading 3% low

3% = 1.5mph @ 50mph or 3mph @ 100mph

It was off, now no issues with no additional mods. I have been paced by cop before and no tickets, so I'm pretty confident. If your calculation is correct 1.5 mph at 50mph or 3 mph @ 100mph, even with those numbers are still within the marginal error of the radar detector or even with the speedometer or GPS. I certainly could live with that. Maybe that's explains why the nav/setting calibration worked for me, it was such a small adjustments. Besides with my 38" tires and 10" lift, I seriously won't consider driving my rig pass 85mph so errors are even smaller. Seriously guys why are you stressing about your tires making a difference with some 33" tires while I'm not with my 38". Spend your money some where else or other mods. Again my 0.02 cents.

Seriously guys why are you stressing about your tires making a difference with some 33" tires while I'm not with my 38". Spend your money some where else or other mods. Again my 0.02 cents.

That's my thinking at the moment. I don't see a reason to address it, but I'm the only person who drives my car.

The WAYZ app has great navi function as well as the posted speed limit and your current speed...

There are a million solutions to this. Yellow box will be mine if I ever go any bigger, running 285/70/17 now. @Real 75mph, my speedo says 70.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom