Is there a trick to remove rear springs from lower perch? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm trying to install air bags. I've read through several pages of the install thread, but there's no mention of the rear springs being difficult to remove.

I've got the rear on stands, right side wheel off, sway bar disconnected, lower shock bolt removed, axle hanging down without a jack holding it up. The top of the spring is free.

I've knocked it with a hammer and block of wood, and pried under the bottom edges, and wiggled it a lot, but can't get the spring free.

When I replaced my rear springs I let it hang and then had my dad push down on the axle when I pulled with a strap and the bottom oppped right off. I removed them bottom first though I believe.

Check that the brake lines aren't being stressed. Alibaster is right on about pushing down on one side to release.

Brake lines are fine. But I just realized the top of the spring isn't free.

I bounced on the hub (I'm 215 lbs, but knee injury limits bouncing). I also jacked up the axle and let it down as fast as the jack could.

Limited on my options since I'm doing this alone, but I'll see what else I can do without killing myself.

Elaborate pully system. Wrap a strap around the bottom of the spring, then run it around something behind the vehicle higher than the spring back to you standing on the axle. Push down and pull. Could try a pry bar between the spring and perch as well.

Turns out I'm a moron and forgot to slide the lower shock mount off its stud.

However I did think of a good method that I almost started , which is putting the bottle jack between the axle and the frame bump stop. It fit fine, before I noticed the shock.

NO jacking, prying, or jumping up and down needed. :rolleyes:

Loosen your control arms and panhard and your axle will fall on the ground with more room than you know what to do with.

Pictured is an 80 series but the rear set up is exactly the same as a 100 series

i
1564246533071.png

Once the shock is off its bolt, it has always just dropped out.

I also did disconnect rear shock mount and sway bar link. Little jack to hold axle low to the ground. Big jack with wood to lift rear frame. Easy peasy. Literally 10 mins. Hardest part was taking wheel off.

20190709_084958.jpg

I have always found iteasier if both sway bar bushings and both shocks are disconnected at the same time. Keep an eye on the ABS sensor wires. They can get strained when the axle gets down that far. For that reasonn I always pop the two keepers for the wires off the frame and rear links on each side to give them more freedom to extend.
Also, when the axle is free and hanging, jack up the opposite side a little and the side you are working on will drop more.

With both wheels off the ground, remove the shock bolt on the side you want to change the spring on. Then put your jack under the OPPOSITE side shock mount and jack it up a little. This will cause the side you want to remove the spring from to drop a little bit more and the spring will drop right out.

Of course, it goes without saying that this should be done on a perfectly level surface, with both front wheels chocked front and rear.

Just installed air bags a few weeks ago - and had a similar issue. I ended up getting a cheap HF MacPherson strut spring compressor to compress the spring a bit to get them to fall out. (Think it was about $30.) Oddly - when I replaced the springs about a year ago I had no issues and the spring simply dropped out.

Last edited:
With both wheels off the ground, remove the shock bolt on the side you want to change the spring on. Then put your jack under the OPPOSITE side shock mount and jack it up a little. This will cause the side you want to remove the spring from to drop a little bit more and the spring will drop right out.

Of course, it goes without saying that this should be done on a perfectly level surface, with both front wheels chocked front and rear.
This works even on my 2.5" lift.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom