Is there a trick to getting the old plastic cable to come out when replacing the antenna? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I went through the carwash today... with the antenna up. Of course, it snapped right off.

The inner white cable with the teeth is unbroken, and will still go up and down.

I found the part here:

It looks like a pretty easy repair... I don't have to take the fender off and access the motorized assembly.... if I can get the old white cable to come out completely.

Is there a trick to this? Obviously, I'll turn the radio on, and raise the antenna to max height... but what do I need to do after that to pull the old one all the way out?

And if I DO need to access the motorized assembly, I'll need to take the fender off inside the wheel well..... sounds like those clips that hold the fender in place tend to snap off. What's the part number on those, so I can order extra in case I need them?

Just unscrew and remove the retainer ring from the antenna mount, grab what’s left of the antenna, have someone turn the ignition to ON and power on the radio, then let the antenna motor run and it will push it 98% if the way out, you pull the other 2%.

Oh... I suddenly get it... the motor runs until it feels resistance! So it keeps running until the antenna goes all the way up... and if there's no antenna attached, it will spit the whole cable out.

Man... there are some clever engineers in the world!

If that doesn't work (and it should) you might have to lower down the assembly and open up the casing. It's not difficult, just take your time. Here's a YouTuber BeginnersLuckGarage) that I followed and it went well.

Take your time getting out the clips, they may be brittle like some of mine: Amazon product ASIN B01AGDUTCO, or you can order them at your local Toyota Dealer.

It should work and a trick I learned was that when mine did not come out and I went inside, it still did not come out until I twisted it (the toothed cord) 180 degrees. Try that if it does not work as previously stated. That’s what could jam it.

i raised the antenna all the way and gave a slight tug and it came out.

Yes, this worked. I was able to replace my 20-y-o antenna with a brand new one, and the new one works great now. A telescoping antenna really is a beautiful thing (almost as beautiful as glass headlights).... it's a shame they did away with them on newer cars.

The replacement was painless without really taking anything apart, aside from unscrewing the exterior collar nut that sits around the antenna.

My antenna motor runs but the antenna does not move. I can pull the antenna up, but it does not come out. I have not yanked on it to see if it comes out. Since the motor runs am I correct to assume the nylon cord in the antenna is probably broken and the motor is ok?

My antenna motor runs but the antenna does not move. I can pull the antenna up, but it does not come out. I have not yanked on it to see if it comes out. Since the motor runs am I correct to assume the nylon cord in the antenna is probably broken and the motor is ok?
Yes. Will need to pull the motor, open it, and remove the broken plastic track/cord.

Yes. Will need to pull the motor, open it, and remove the broken plastic track/cord.
first try spinning the cord 180 degrees. after I pulled my motor the cord would still not come out, twisted it and all good in ten seconds.

i just pulled mine straight out with a slight yank and inserted an amazon replacement. #GoodToGo

Just went through the car wash and broke the original 22 year old antenna. Had a guy install a pioneer radio a couple years ago and this is just the latest problem caused by the disaster of a product and the installation. The radio was turned off but the antenna goes back up every time you put the truck in reverse. Don't know why but it does so we didn't notice the antenna was up. Sure wish there were decent installers and mechanics left in the world. I don't recall the last time I was happy with a service I paid for on any of my rigs. Anyway the white part inside is still attached an unbroken so do I just need to get the mast. I see there is one on Amazon. Anyone know if it's any good?

I've always had great luck with this website (I've also ordered cabin air filters, floor mats, etc. from them). It's OEM stuff, as far as I've seen.

Edit:

Though I realize you don't have a Lexus model... can anyone verify that it's the same part on both Lexus and Land Cruiser for 2001?

Oh... perhaps you can type your VIN into Lexuspartsnow and verify fitment?

There’s lots on Amazon but best to go with stock oem so you know the teeth and length are correct. The white plastic wire is part of the mast, not separate. The parts were the same between my 06 lx and the 00 Lc.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Here's the page from the FSM for anyone else replacing their antennae.
TLC FSM Antennae replacement.jpg

If that doesn't work (and it should) you might have to lower down the assembly and open up the casing. It's not difficult, just take your time. Here's a YouTuber BeginnersLuckGarage) that I followed and it went well.

Take your time getting out the clips, they may be brittle like some of mine: Amazon product ASIN B01AGDUTCO, or you can order them at your local Toyota Dealer.

Was looking for this video ~should have just started my search here.

Just repaired my non-functioning power antenna - disassembled, cleaned, greased, and reassembled.

Not too bad overall, just went at it piece by piece. Once the bracket and cover were removed the various gears came out very easily.

The last foot of the toothed nylon core of the mast needed to be straightened to have any chance of being reinserted. Dunked it in boiling water and it relaxed/softened very quickly. Still had to rotate the core

System was a little finicky about going up all the way when the radio was turned on at first. It got back to normal after I cycled it with the manual switch a couple of times: turn radio on + hold manual up switch until the mast was fully raised, turn radio off + hold manual down switch until fully lowered. No idea why this worked but it did.

100 weight grease was the lightest I had handy so will be watching to see how the assembly performs as the weather cools. Will make sure to have some lithium based grease "next time".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom