Is there a trick? - separating a 1HZ/IHD-T split exhaust manifold (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lelandEOD

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm stuck trying to separate the exhaust manifold halves and wanted to ask if there are any tricks or tips I should know about before I start wrapping stuff in detonating cord?

I've secured the manifold in a large vise on my welding table; I've soaked it in penetrant, heated it with a propane torch, and whacked on it from all sides to no avail. I even used a large pipe wrench on it to see if I could get the small section to twist a bit and break free.

I'm at a loss. Unless someone has a better idea, I'm coming close to the stage where I begin to get destructive. : )

Had mine off last week and it came apart with one twist. Propane is useless - recommend proper oxy-acetylene. No trick, except to reassemble with copper anti-seize on new ring gaskets.

AS Shred posted above, there is no trick. Mine was pretty stuck together, It took a lot of whacks and lots of penetrating oil so I could start to make it spin, once I got that far it came apart somewhat easy.

I cleaned the grove with oven cleaner as trying to get the old rings out was a major PITA.

I guess I was lucky, mine came apart in my hands easily. I think if you can get the 2 parts to start spinning at all you'll be able to work it back and forth until it comes free.

Leave it alone if there's no exhaust leak. :)

No joy so far. I'm going to soak it in penetrant for a day or two and see if that improves things. I would leave it well enough alone but I need to swap out the front half for a 4-bolt flange to mate the CT26 turbo.

To make matters worse, the rear section doesn't seem to be available so I'll need to reuse mine and can't afford to break it in the process of disassembly.

@lelandEOD I think I have a 1HZ manifold in my stash. Let me check.

No joy so far. I'm going to soak it in penetrant for a day or two and see if that improves things. I would leave it well enough alone but I need to swap out the front half for a 4-bolt flange to mate the CT26 turbo.

To make matters worse, the rear section doesn't seem to be available so I'll need to reuse mine and can't afford to break it in the process of disassembly.

I've experienced both scenarios. One that came apart easy, then one that fought me all the way.
I used penetrating oil, heat, vice and FBH, and copious swear words.
If I'd known the second one would be such a pain, I would have bought both back and front pieces (was also separating for a 1hz turbo install)

I hope I didn’t buy the last OEM available. I bought both halves and all the fixings from @beno. It might be worth the peace of mind to get a new one.

Any tips on how to remove the exhaust rings? I’ve been using a combination of perpetrating lubricatant and ocy-acetylene, just not sure how hot I can get them... really don’t want to crack the manifold itself.

Should the rings spring outwards once they break free?

Ahh, so you’re destroying the rings to get them out?

Ya, use new o-rings and metal rings when you reassemble. Too much work to get it out of the truck to risk it leaking.

Just checked the pricing on amayama, much more reasonable than Toyota direct. I was quote $43aud per ring on my 12HT... hence I wasn’t going to replace them if I didn’t have to. From amayama they are like $8ea, at that price I’ll just change em. Gonna see if I can get a viton o ring instead of the rubber one, should last a lot longer.

Btw I had to cut pretty much the entire ring all the way around to get it out, was very solidly rusted in. Even cutting both sides of the ring I couldn’t hammer them out. But was pretty easy to cut, kinda annoyed I wasted so much penetrant and oxy-acyetelene trying to get em out.

Thanks for the quick reply

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom