is there a tire psi change for larger tires? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
the door jam sticker says 29 psi front/32 rear for the standard 275 70/16 tires

What would the correct psi be for 275 65/18 tires? Would it be the same or is there an adjustment?

thanks for your help!

I shouldn't matter if you keep the same load rating. If you stepped up to E rated then you will need more air to maintain the same load rating.

1668460417072.png

1668460466905.png

You can also you tube the chalk method, which consist of applying chalk to the tread, driving down a straight road, then checking the wear pattern. You would then inflate or deflate until you see even chalk wear.

Check this attached document to explain why LT tires need more pressure to attain THE SAME load rating as P-rated tires, if applicable.

(Attached: Toyo Tires Technical Bulletin document TSD-12-011 August, 2012: "Replacing Tires on Light Trucks")

Attachments

• tsd-12-011_replacing_tires_on_light_trucks.pdf
    343 KB · Views: 42
Playing with tire pressures right now with a set of Yoko's AT G015 P/m, 275/65/18 have them at 35 and they seem ok, maybe a little hard riding. Might try 32.

Last edited:
Dont need to be making this more complicated than it has to be. The load rating changes when you go to an E rates tire and you simply adjust the PSI to achieve the same load rating .

The link I posted helps convert or just use the manufacturer posted spec on the load rating for our vehicles.

Now is it gunna be a harsher ride , yeah probably, but if you want the proper wear of your tires and load rating you gotta pump em up.

Extremely helpful thread! Was pondering this, thinking there probably was a calculation to get things started...

Will wait for nicer weather to do a chalk test.

Why are the big retailers now inflating to 36 instead of the recommended psi? Forever it seemed that 32 psi was the standard.

Is below correct for 2006-07 LC from stock to BFG KO2 LT275/70R18?

View attachment 3254985
No, look at the numbers that is converting to a 17 inch tire . Then again the bottom shows the right info , idk , click link below and just make sure your entering the proper info from the p or sl rates to the e rated

Click link below and enter your stats to get some info
>Tire Pressure Calculator - Tire Pressure Calculator - https://tiresize.com/pressure-calculator/

No, look at the numbers that is converting to a 17 inch tire . Then again the bottom shows the right info , idk , click link below and just make sure your entering the proper info from the p or sl rates to the e rated

Click link below and enter your stats to get some info
>Tire Pressure Calculator - Tire Pressure Calculator - https://tiresize.com/pressure-calculator/
Hi Mike, thanks for the helpful info. I think the "LT285/70R17" in the first line on the right side is just a default example of the tire size format. The lines below are what I specifically selected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom