Is there a thread on beginner advice on a HDJ81’s / pre-purchase inspection advice? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
If so I couldn’t find it. Yes I looked at all the FAQ threads.

Hey guys, I've been looking at, and driving 80 series for several months trying to find one. I've decided to start looking at diesel imports. I've spent hours searching the forums, but I haven't found a "Beginners guide to Diesel vs petrol/24V vs 12V". Is there a thread I'm missing that explains things to be aware of, things to look out for, general noob purchasing advice on JDM imports? I'm not looking for importing advice, just JDM vehicle info most Americans wouldn't be aware of. 24v power system is a concern for me.

Thanks, and sorry if this is the wrong place, or repetetive.

• IIRC, starter is 24V, everything else is 12V.
  • look for excessive blow-by, while at idle, take off oil fill cap and look for any smoke
  • inspect oil pain to see if BEBs (big end bearings) have been replaced. it's a common failure mode for HDJ81s and should be replaced as a preventive maintenance item. if the oil pan has whitish/creamish colored sealant around it, which is fairly consistent in application, it is factory. if it is black or grey, and it will NOT be very consistently applied around the oil pan/block interface, then it probably means that the BEBs were replaced, unless the PO removed the oil pan for some other maintenance / fix. maintenance records can help.
  • ACSD delete, another common failure mode item
  • fuel turned up?
  • turbo stock boost?
  • a completely stock HDJ81 will be most reliable

Last edited:
  • -IIRC, starter is 24V, everything else is 12V.
  • look for excessive blow-by, while at idle, take off oil fill cap and look for any smoke
  • inspect oil pain to see if BEBs (big end bearings) have been replaced. it's a common failure mode for HDJ81s and should be replaced as a preventive maintenance item. if the oil pan has whitish/creamish colored sealant around it, which is fairly consistent in application, it is factory. if it is black or grey, and it will NOT be very consistently applied around the oil pan/block interface, then it probably means that the BEBs were replaced, unless the PO removed the oil pan for some other maintenance / fix. maintenance records can help.
  • ACSD delete, another common failure mode item
  • fuel turned up?
  • turbo stock boost?
  • a completely stock HDJ81 will be most reliable
Thanks HZ, That's good stuff!

Just like any forum somethings can be over-hyped here and you may think you're driving a ticking time bomb. The trickiest thing is to baseline it, to get the tune right, least amount of smoke, most amount of power. Once you get the tune in, it'll be like baseline any other 25-30yr old vehicle.

But the best thing for you is that you are close to some really experienced people with the 1hdt in Georgia. I think about transporting my car there just so Odd Iron can bless it.

Just like any forum somethings can be over-hyped here and you may think you're driving a ticking time bomb. The trickiest thing is to baseline it, to get the tune right, least amount of smoke, most amount of power. Once you get the tune in, it'll be like baseline any other 25-30yr old vehicle.

But the best thing for you is that you are close to some really experienced people with the 1hdt in Georgia. I think about transporting my car there just so Odd Iron can bless it.
I’ve heard they are the diesel kings. Was going to call them today.

24v power system is a concern for me.

It wont be with regular maintenance. I prefer 12v but I would still take a 24v Landcruiser anywhere you can take a 12v.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom