Is there a 3B dismantling process for a rebuild? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Onur advised me about the IP and timing but curious if there is a proper process for taking the 3B apart for rebuild?

Any words of wisdom for a newb doing this?
Thanks

I guess after I decided to look at the manual it pretty much outlines what i need to do. If any tricks of the trade or special tools i can't tear this engine apart without please let me know!

You can follow the manual if things get confusing.

LABEL LABEL LABEL!

I took pictures, put things in baggies and labeled those baggies. Overall it went really smooth, although there were a few parts I didn't label detailed enough so after a few months putting back together I had to look online and ask questions for a part or 2 where they went.

The oil squirter removal is a little vague in the manual, but here's what I did.

Just a picture FYI for anyone wondering how to get the oil squirters out. Had the wrong sized bolt but didn't feel like going into town to get a shorter one. There are a few methods and a Toyota SST. This worked fine for me.

M8 bolts into the oil squirters on the side of the block, make sure threads are clean.
Use a socket that will fit OVER the oil squirter. Sparkplug socket works fine.
Put a washer or 2, (or 7) then put the bolt in.
As you tighten down, it will pull the squirter out which is only held in by press fit/O-ring

oils1.jpg

I would spray all the nuts/bolts with some kind of solvent a few days before you start. If something busts, the engine rebuilder or machinist can extract broken bolts etc for a small fee
Take lots of pics before you dismantle something and keep all the nuts/bolts in the same container.
Sometimes bolts can be longer than others doing the same job, keep a track of them and where they go.
Label everything. Dont throw anything out until the new replacement part has arrived and you are sure its the correct part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom