Is the seat upholstery easily removable? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was just wondering if the seat upholstery for the FJ80's is easily removable for cleaning? Will I need any special tools to remove the upholstery (hog ring pliers, etc)?

I know I can rent a steam/carpet cleaner and clean the upholstery as attached to the seats, however, the only issue with doing that is the underlying foam will get wet from the saturation of the cleaning liquid/spray. Foam does not dry quickly when trapped under other material.

I have removed the head rest upholstery from each head rest and will throw those in the washer (on COLD and NO dryer) and will let them air dry. I do need to clean the upholstery too on the seats, so I was wondering how hard it is to remove the upholstery, or if anyone has accomplished this task in the past?

All of the seats are currently out of the Cruiser... still have to remove the center console so I can remove the carpeting to thoroughly clean it too...

Yes, when I purchase a "new" used vehicle, I always clean/detail it in this manner - it all comes apart... gotta get rid of the previous owner cooties... :flipoff2:

Cobra Jet said:
I was just wondering if the seat upholstery for the FJ80's is easily removable for cleaning? Will I need any special tools to remove the upholstery (hog ring pliers, etc)?

You'll notice the seat covers are held in place with steel clips and rings. Call around to local auto upholstery shops or suppliers and you'll find the hog ring pliers you need for removal and reassembly. You'll likely need to buy a box of new rings...its easier than messing with the old ones.

Example: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...ategory=34206&item=4562941991&sspagename=WDVW

I removed the bottom upholstery on my '91 80 to sew up the seam that split. I think it was pretty easy. You'll have to cut a few hog rings that hold the middle of the material to the frame, but that's not a big deal. I used wire "zip ties" to reassemble because I couldn't find my hog rings and pliers. I've used zip ties instead of hog rings on several older cars with no problems......so far!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom