Is the Rear Heater Worth Keeping? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm going through the hoses and doing minor floor and paint repairs to the interior of an FJ40. The vehicle has a working rear heater with the original metal/rubber tubing inside the cab. I'm wondering whether I need that heater to keep warm inside with hardtop on in our relatively mild winters. The stock underdash heater works good enough to run me out of the place when it's around 35-40 degrees outside and the coldest I've seen here was an unusual year's 15 above zero that only lasted maybe two days. I didn't drive the 40 during that little blast.

So I'm asking about how much does the rear heater contribute because I'm thinking of leaving it out. Can anyone advise me? Do Coloradoans find it unnecessary?

I don't know if it helps but I run mine when it's cold outside.

It is there and works, so keep it and use it. It can't hurt.

It will also cool the engine if there is some other problem for a short period of time.

Those heaters go for well over $50 on ebay on a regular basis. Keep it. I have a couple horded away. (Is that the right hord-hoard?)

No question it contributes substantially in below 20 degree F conditions.

And the faster you go, the longer you go, the more heat gets wicked away, and the more you need it. Use mine all winter. Your rear seat passengers appreciate it, if you have them. Having made some 4 person winter trips in my 40, I can attest to that. Of course, the tighter your passenger compartment seals, the less important at temperatures higher than 20. And, it tends to get stepped on by kids, which can smash it, which is a pain. Also, it gets in the way if your FJ40 is your mini-pickup during the summer. I've taken in out and put it back in seasonally a couple of years, but I think I'll just be leaving it in this year.

I would keep it. I didn't have one originally, and the first winter I had my cruiser I had no choice but to drive it. I froze my ass off until one day a fellow cruiser owner gave me a rear heater. It made a big difference. I still was never truly warm (I have a soft top) except when parked, but it sure helped a bunch. I'll hopefully never drive my cruiser in the winter salt again, but the rear heater still keeps my dog from shivering in the back on early spring and late fall rides with the top down.

You don't need it or want it........send it to me!!!:)

Heh!

I always like the rear heater in my 40. Helped to get the cab warm quickly on a cold day. Also adds to resale value.

M

I always thought it was nice when I lived in oregon. Once I moved to NY I found out that it doesn't do a darn bit a good. I went ahead and made a secondary heater with a little ''LOT'' more power and I keep warm on the coldest days.

I comes in handy when you use the defroster, you get little heat out of the front when on defrost so the rear is the cab heat then.

brew8 said:
I comes in handy when you use the defroster, you get little heat out of the front when on defrost so the rear is the cab heat then.

That's a good point and the deal maker - I'll leave it in.

I wasn't going to toss it. I'd have shelved it in case I sell, but that about no heat while defrosting is something that I hadn't even thought of before I asked. Thanks!

I did have a rear heater in either my my FJ40's. But in the FJ55 that rear heater works wonders. If the 40 rear heater works as good as the 55 one then in a space that small it should put out either heat to cook you.

It sure helps cooling when I'm @ 70mph and towing my 1500lbs. tent trailer to Moab. It also is the ultimate glove/sock drier, food warmer and it will keep your coffee warm for hours.
Jerry

Why in anybodies right mind would you want to add heat to the inside of your car? That's just insane! Sell the damn thing on eBay and use the money to move someplace you don't need it! One second thought, it would come in handy when we get those bitter cold 70 degree days in January! I won't even drive my Cruiser if it's under 65! Damn I'm a wuss!

sonoranfun said:
Why in anybodies right mind would you want to add heat to the inside of your car? That's just insane! Sell the damn thing on eBay and use the money to move someplace you don't need it! One second thought, it would come in handy when we get those bitter cold 70 degree days in January! I won't even drive my Cruiser if it's under 65! Damn I'm a wuss!

Bet you get tired of having big oozing blisters on your ass from sitting on your seat during all those 110 degree days when it never cools off even in the middle of the night, eh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom