Is the original paint on lx450 cladding one stage or two? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Am I spraying clearcoat on top of the platinum?

Also does anyone know if I'll melt the cladding by sanding it with a random orbital sander?

I believe that 045 white is the only single stage color that was used on 80-series Land Cruisers and LX450s.

Cladding shouldn't melt if you keep the sander moving. I would probably use stripper, though, because sanding plastic with nooks and crannies is really tedious.

First when you sand the paint does the dust that comes off look whitish in color, if so then its two stage Base/clear and what you are seeing is the clear coming off first. Also I have had great success with using the maroon 3M scotchbrite pads for plastic painted parts and areas that are hard to reach like the grooves in the trim. It's equivalent to a P320 or P400 grit sandpaper and will provide plenty of tooth for the paint to adhere. 3M also makes a super flexible foam backed sanding sheets that work great and there is even semi-paste products out there designed to be used with scotchbrite pads to speed up the job. I would be hesitant to use stripper on any plastic as it may swell and ruin the piece but is also a huge pain to work with and clean the part after to remove and chemicals that would certainly ruin a new paint application if not removed. But hey DIY auto school guy does have some great tips on his videos.

The new safe versions of stripper doesn’t work that great. They neutered al the paint strippers now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom