1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the NON-lexus verision of the 120 sold in North America?

Discussion in '120-Series Toyotas' started by crazy canuck, Jan 23, 2004.

1. crazy canuck

crazy canuck Guest

if not, has anyone imported one?

2. uzj100

uzj100

Yes sir. 4Runner is the Toyota and the GX470 is the Lexus. They are both on the Land Cruiser 120 platform.

Andrew

3. Darwood

Darwood

Well here is the Toyota Mexico site. I don't see the 120 there so it must have come from somewhere else. Maybe Central America?

http://www.toyota.com.mx/

4. Darwood

Darwood

5. crazy canuck

crazy canuck Guest

I mean the 120 Landcruiser rather than the 4 runner.. is that available, and if not, why not?

6. Curran

Curran

Crazy C, :slap:
    UZJ100 hit the nail on the head. The new generation 4Runner is the Toyota equivalent of the Lexus GX470. The sheet looks different, but they share a common chassis, engine, transmission and whatnot. Both are stylized 120 Series LCs.
    Go take a new 4Runner out on a test ride. They are surprisingly nimble SUVs and a lot of fun to drive. If they had more headroom and the dealer didn’t happen to have a gorgeous white 97 80 w/ lockers sitting across the lot, I might have bought one.
    :beer:
    CJ

7. Darwood

Darwood

I think crazy canuck was just asking where in America you could buy a Land Cruiser 120 aka Prado. The fact that a 4runner is the same platform hasn't anything to do with it. In fact the 4runner has always been the Prado platform (actually with the Land Cruiser 90 aka Prado I think it was the other way around) ::)

8. crazy canuck

crazy canuck Guest

Yup--& thanks guys-- I need the headroom of the l/c..the 4runner is a bit too low ceiling for me.

would love to get a 120.. has anyone / can they import one from costa rica into the US, and how much would that cost ?

9. Asiarider

Asiarider

Here we get both. The LC 120 with all types of engine incl. of Turbo Diesel and the GX 470. I drove one already (Turbo Diesel) but they are to small for me. They don't look so impressive like an 80. If I purchase a new Landcruiser then a LX 470.

Mike

10. e9999

e9999 You want to do what...? Moderator

I don't get why Toyota would "undermine" the Landcruiser label that way by spreading it across a variety of models, including some "less capable" ones... I can see the various types of classic LC as they evolved over the years and may still be found new at the same time, as in Ozland for example, but take a different model like the 4 runner and call it a LC suddenly, that's just weird...
    E

11. shocker

shocker

Hmmmmm.... they're not calling a 4Runner a Land Cruiser. They're calling it a...... 4Runner.

4 Runner is a unique name to the NA market. The Land Cruiser name really only has the 'bling bling' big bucks connotation in the NA market.

Other markets are smart enough to know that if they need real off-road capabilities, they need a 100--or, ideally a 105--series Land Cruiser.

12. Darwood

Darwood

Yes, but I think what Mike is trying to say is why do they label the GX470, aka Prado, as a Land Cruiser overseas? If that's not "the 'bling bling' big bucks connotation" I don't know what is? Toyota is using the Land Cruiser name on vehicles that are less capable than a real Land Cruiser i.e. UZJ105 in the overseas market. It appears as if other markets are not "smart enough to know that if they need real off-road capabilities they need a 100--or, ideally a 105--series Land Cruiser".

Overseas the 4runner is a HiLux Surf (which is a strange name to me but whatever)

13. shocker

shocker

If they weren't smart enough, how would any 105's get sold at all?

Look, North America is about the only market where Land Cruiser is thought of as a Luxury SUV and compared evenly--by most of the population--with Navigators, Escalades, and Tahoes. Almost every other market, especially Oz and South Africa, they are known as one of the best point A to point B vehicles made, no matter the terrain. In these countries, you can buy essentially the same 100 series you can buy here, but you can also buy the 105.

So, it would stand to reason, if the public is trusted to know and understand the difference between the 100 and the 105, they can also handle the 120 being called a Land Cruiser, but just the least off-road capable of their three choices.

Just like Subaru trusts people to know the difference between the Impreza, the WRX, and the WRX Sti.

14. e9999

e9999 You want to do what...? Moderator

nope, sorry, I don't agree. IMNSHO, they should keep the moniker "Landcruiser" for one given model -different engines, seating etc OK of course- sold at any given time. Given model means given mechanicals. Having the same name for very different models is not a good idea from a marketing point of view I think, it dilutes the value of the name. They should keep LC for their very best offroader and nothing else.
    just my 2c
    Eric

15. shocker

shocker

Different countries, different marketing strategies. It's nothing new; Toyota's been doing it for decades, and you can't argue with success.

Even in the good 'ol US of A, there was the FJ40 at the same time as the FJ55, then later simultaneously witht the FJ60. Obviously different vehicles, but both called Land Cruisers. You think that was a mistake?

16. Asiarider

Asiarider

[quote author=Darwood link=board=2;threadid=10541;start=msg95074#msg95074 date=1075005030]
    Yes, but I think what Mike is trying to say is why do they label the GX470, aka Prado, as a Land Cruiser overseas? If that's not "the 'bling bling' big bucks connotation" I don't know what is? Toyota is using the Land Cruiser name on vehicles that are less capable than a real Land Cruiser i.e. UZJ105 in the overseas market. It appears as if other markets are not "smart enough to know that if they need real off-road capabilities they need a 100--or, ideally a 105--series Land Cruiser".

Overseas the 4runner is a HiLux Surf (which is a strange name to me but whatever)
    [/quote]

Derek,

there was always a big and a small Landcruiser overseas. Okay not in the USA but everywhere else. The 80/100/105 and the 90/Prado/120. The Prado was created to fight the leader position of Mitsubishi Pajero in most markets. And it was a great success. Mitsubishi lost the position to Toyota and the owners of a Prado seem to be happy with their product. The Prado was never intended to be a replacement for a 80/100/105 but to fill a gap between a Hilux Surf and the big, expensive Landcruiser.

BTW, here in Thailand we have 4-Runner, Hilux Surf and Hilux Tiger. The Hilux Tiger would be a nice rig for you wheeling guys because it is actually a lifted Hilux Surf with big tires and looks really impressive and it is quit high. Many owners here modify the Tiger for wheeling and I have seen some really awesome creations.

Mike

17. Asiarider

Asiarider

[quote author=e9999 link=board=2;threadid=10541;start=msg95102#msg95102 date=1075014887]
    nope, sorry, I don't agree. IMNSHO, they should keep the moniker "Landcruiser" for one given model -different engines, seating etc OK of course- sold at any given time. Given model means given mechanicals. Having the same name for very different models is not a good idea from a marketing point of view I think, it dilutes the value of the name. They should keep LC for their very best offroader and nothing else.
    just my 2c
    Eric

[/quote]

Eric,

only !!! in the USA Toyota never introduced the second Landcruiser Prado, now the LC 120. The whole world got two Landcruisers, a big one and a small, out of the reasons I quoted above. TOY had to fight the Pajero and the big LC was far too expensive to do it. So they created the LC 90/Prado.

And BTW, the Prado is from the size, looks, quality and reliability a real Landcruiser. If you like your LC 100 then you will like the Prado/LC90 too because they look really alike except for the length. The Prado is higher and smaller. The LC120 is now a real new creation but maybe you look already in the face of the next big Landcruiser LC 140 ??? I think it will look like the LC 120.

Mike

18. Jonathan_Ferguson

Jonathan_Ferguson ★ is in the wrong locale SILVER Star

In Australia the 120 Series is Marketed as the Landcruiser Prado.
    The 105 Series is Marketed as just the 100, As is the 100 Series.
    The 78 and 79 Series are Marketed as just the 78 Series.

Most people buying a 105 Series probable don't even realise they a front Live Axle. :slap: - Toyota dose'nt even Advertise the fact. ???

The number one selling Four Wheel Drive in Australia last year was the 120. :cheers:

I would'nt be surprised if there is'nt a predeccesor to the 100 Series, As the 120 Series is the same Size, Cheaper and more Comfortable.

Why have a front Live Axle version when most of the Roads are so bad in Australia that it necessary for Independant Front Suspension?

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">