Is the Land Cruiser officially dead? (1 Viewer)

Toyota was right in their thinking that there will be a small percentage of us who still would want a brand new Landcruiser even if it is badged as a Lexus.

Yossarian

SILVER Star
If the rumors about the new LX are true then it won't be anything like the current 200 series and of no interest to the off-rod enthusiasts here.

If the current LX is any indication, that's what I'm concerned about. I was able to dig up the 2019 Instagram post by Jonny Lieberman, I would have to agree.

Jonny Lieberman.PNG

4wheelgreg

SILVER Star
Besides not having apple car play I’m pretty content with my 2019 and in the process of building it the way it should have came from the factory .
If there is a replacement it has to be pretty amazing for me to drop another 80k + by the time the 300 comes out going to have to be built as well as the 200 or better I’m sure it’s going to cost 100k

I know the Diesel offered overseas has a good base of 4.5 L to work with, but it's also turbocharged. So why wouldn't we expect the 300 series to have a robust 3.5 turbo that can do the 25 year harsh service life?

It seems like we think that Toyota will yank an LS500 engine out and drop it in the 300 with no modifications. They might even add port injection like they did for the Toybaru twins.

This isn't born out in the real world, for example, Tundra, Tacoma, Corolla, Camry, Avalon, Highlander, RAV4, etc. Toyota also builds Land Cruisers in China, although not for export to the US.
Disagree. There is something to be said for a car made entirely with Japanese made parts by Japanese craftsmen.

I know the Diesel offered overseas has a good base of 4.5 L to work with, but it's also turbocharged. So why wouldn't we expect the 300 series to have a robust 3.5 turbo that can do the 25 year harsh service life?

It seems like we think that Toyota will yank an LS500 engine out and drop it in the 300 with no modifications. They might even add port injection like they did for the Toybaru twins.
I bought a new LC500 Sport. Based on what the Lexus regional manager told me, that is it for V8s in the US market. Won't last much longer.

Disagree. There is something to be said for a car made entirely with Japanese made parts by Japanese craftsmen.
OK? I've been driving Land Cruisers since I bought my first new one in 1987. Over 30 years, I have only had to buy 3 new ones - an FJ60, a 100, and a 200 (with a LX570 for a year but it was not the right vehicle for me). I have also owned 4Runners and spent a lot of time driving Tacomas and HiLuxs. Honestly, the reliability and durability of Toyota is consistent across the line. Japan build doesn't make it so. Toyota's obsession with design, engineering, supply chain, and manufacturing processes are what did it. No matter if the vehicle was built in Japan, Mexico, China, the US, or anywhere else.

Aren’t all 3UR-FE engines cast and assembled in the US? I am glad it all comes together in Japan, but main component is US made.

No. LC engines are made in Japan.
Awesome, I was bummed when I read the 3UR-FEs were US built; took away a bit of the novelty. Apologies, still somewhat new to my LC obsession.

I get that it’s Toyota’s processes that make them reliable, but also something to be said about quality that comes from Japanese worker's pride in their flagship product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom