Is the fuel pump supposed to prime when the ignition is on? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Im trying to troubleshoot a no start problem after rebuilding my engine, I want to clarify that the fuel pump should prime when the key is first turned on without actually cranking the engine. Looking at the fuel circuit in the manual, it looks like the circuit opening relay only activates when the ecu gets signal from the crank position sensor and a start signal from the starter. Judging by that the fuel pump will only run while the motor is cranking. Does that sound correct? I'm assuming it doesn't prime for a couple seconds when the ignition in first turned on and only while cranking. I don't recall ever having another vehicle with an electric fuel pump that didn't prime when you first turn ignition on, so I'd like for one of you guys that knows 80 series land cruisers to please verify if my thinking is correct.
I really appreciate any answers this simple problem is kicking my ass.

Sorry I totally forgot to give that info. Its a US spec 1997 1fzfe.

Im trying to troubleshoot a no start problem after rebuilding my engine, I want to clarify that the fuel pump should prime when the key is first turned on without actually cranking the engine. Looking at the fuel circuit in the manual, it looks like the circuit opening relay only activates when the ecu gets signal from the crank position sensor and a start signal from the starter. Judging by that the fuel pump will only run while the motor is cranking. Does that sound correct? I'm assuming it doesn't prime for a couple seconds when the ignition in first turned on and only while cranking. I don't recall ever having another vehicle with an electric fuel pump that didn't prime when you first turn ignition on, so I'd like for one of you guys that knows 80 series land cruisers to please verify if my thinking is correct.
I really appreciate any answers this simple problem is kicking my ass.

Engine must be cranking or running. My mother's old Corolla is the same, engine must crank. Not sure if most Toyota's are that way, but that's the only two that I'm familiar with.

cheers,
george.

Thanks for the reply. The fuel pump is bad. I should have pulled it as soon as I realized there was no fuel but instead I tested the fuel pump relay and found it was good. Then I tested the circuit to the relay and wasn't getting a trigger when the ignition was cycled. I was assuming it primed when the ignition was first turned on so every test I did I was just cycling the ignition but not cranking. I lead myself on a wild goose chase for a problem I should have diagnosed in minutes instead of days. Moral of the story is I'm an iddiot

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom