Is the early or late 80 series LSD better? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
eurasiaoverland.com
Firstly, I'm aware that Toyota factory LSDs have a pretty woeful reputation, but I want to run a factory unit.

I see two generations of Toyota 80 series LSD (maybe there are more):

An earlier type (1992-1997) with 8 thrust washers (black tectured plates) and 6 clutch discs (shiny toothed discs)
A later type (1997-1999) with 6 thrust washers and 4 clutch discs.

Now I would have thought that the earlier type, with more frictional contact area between the plates (because there are more of them) would be the more effective. But, this was the 1990s where some 'developments' in the Landcruiser were actually improvements.

Can anyone compare the effectiveness, longevity of the two LSDs?

For reference, I am in Asia and used to seeing JDM and General market vehicles. The above might not hold for North American versions.

Thanks

EO

Last edited:
Firstly, I'm aware that Toyota factory LSDs have a pretty woeful reputation, but I want to run a factory unit.

I see two generations of Toyota 80 series LSD (maybe there are more):

An earlier type (1992-1997) with 8 thrust washers (black tectured plates) and 6 clutch discs (shiny toothed discs)
A later type (1997-1999) with 6 thrust washers and 4 clutch discs.

Now I would have thought that the earlier type, with more frictional contact area between the plates (because there are more of them) would be the more effective. But, this was the 1990s where some 'developments' in the Landcruiser were actually improvements.

Can anyone compare the effectiveness, longevity of the two LSDs?

For reference, I am in Asia and used to seeing JDM and General market vehicles. The above might not hold for North American versions.

Thanks

EO
In the US we never got an 80 with LSD. All ours had open diffs or electronic lockers. We got the LSDs in Tacoma (similar to Hilux) and Tundra (full size pickup) and they were okay at best

From what I've read, the problem with the Toyota LSD packs isn't so much from the friction surfaces wearing out, but rather the spring that puts it under tension weakening over time. If they changed that part of the assembly in later models, maybe that would help. More friction isn't necessarily better either when it comes to LSD, it depends how aggressive you like it.

All I can tell you for sure is the LSD in the rear of my 96 HZJ80 isn't doing much of anything these days. I plan to switch mine out for an elocker.

Didn't know my 80 had an LSD rear, but tbh I don't know what it feels like when an LSD is 'doing its thing'.

Majority of my driving these days is on blacktop so not really something I think about.

I'm not sure I'd know what to look at when checking out a rear diff centre to know if it's normal or LSD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom