Is the coil supposed to electrocute me? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well this morning I removed the Vintage Air ground cables from under the coil and connected them directly to the battery and my issue is still there.

Basically randomly my radio and vintage air AC would shut off and come back on. It's weird cuz my radio is connected to the battery directly and just the on/off wire is running to the Radio fuse in the fuse box. So something before the fuse box is telling it to turn off, I'm guessing maybe a fault ignition key or some ground issue?
Looking back at your photo of the coil, it's apparent you have copious amounts of non-OEM wiring.

Most advice from this forum ASSUMES you have stock wiring. What is that red rectangular box (in your photo) connected to? Is it stock for your FJ40?

Also, " It's weird cuz my radio is connected to the battery directly and just the on/off wire is running to the Radio fuse in the fuse box." needs some decyphering. You should be more specific by identifying "my radio GROUND is connected to the battery" if that is the case.

The word is derived from "electro" and "execution" and came into use just before New York instituted the electric chair.

electrocute

ĭ-lĕk′trə-kyoo͞t″

transitive verb​

1. To kill with electricity.
  2. To execute (a person sentenced to death) by means of electricity.
  3. To execute or put to death by electricity.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
Today it has broader meaning...to include injured by electricity, however that usually means a serious injury.

But i agree with you...you only get electrocuted once but you can get shocked often.

Looking back at your photo of the coil, it's apparent you have copious amounts of non-OEM wiring.

Most advice from this forum ASSUMES you have stock wiring. What is that red rectangular box (in your photo) connected to? Is it stock for your FJ40?

Also, " It's weird cuz my radio is connected to the battery directly and just the on/off wire is running to the Radio fuse in the fuse box." needs some decyphering. You should be more specific by identifying "my radio GROUND is connected to the battery" if that is the case.

Yeah the car was recently fully rebuilt and so the wiring is mostly non-OEM. most of the wiring in that photo is related to the vintage air AC.

Regarding my Bluetooth amp, it turns on when the ignition is set to "On" position. The amp has a wire that runs to the fuse box (and is connected to the radio fuse (pictuired below). So when the key is switched to on, it turns on, when switched to off it turns off. The problem is the amp randomly switches off even when the key is in the on position. The same thing happens to the AC.

radio.jpg

lol no that blue wire was yesterday by my radio guy, different from the place that rebuilt the car.

IMO, counting on a ground to a painted fender on a 40 year old truck, bolted to a frame with (typically) corroded fasteners, with a sketchy ground path back to the battery, should be reconsidered.
No disagreement on this statement, which is why I put the qualifier that the ground be a clean solid ground point... If you don't have good ground at 100% of the frame and body tub (at the very least) I would argue you should focus on correcting your chassis grounding issues before adding more circuits to the system. ..plus I always think it looks like crap when there's a bunch of accessory power/ground taps stacked up on the battery Terminals.

lol no that blue wire was yesterday by my radio guy, different from the place that rebuilt the car.
Jamming a wire in with the spade of the fuse is a great way to spring the terminals and provide Intermittent/poor connection, especially if that wire is ever removed...I'd recommend it have an actual fuse tap put in and use a pick to bring the fuse block terminals back together, then that can be eliminated as a possible problem source.

Amazon product ASIN B07TG1ZGD3

Last edited:
Thanks, i wasn't sure what the right way was, but just googled fuse tap and saw. Definitely need to get fuse taps cuz the guy did the same thing in my beemer.

Not sure about your relationship with your stereo guy, but maybe let them know about fuse taps? What they did was amateur hour stuff but is totally something I would have done in my early years when installing stuff for my buddies. I was just an inexperienced guy gettin' er' done, so to speak and didn't know about them. Self taught if you will.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom