Is the 2LT REALLY that bad??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been on Mud almost since the beginning, but don't post often. It's a great source of info........some really good and some not so good! I've owned and used 8 different 70 Series going back to 1988 both heavy duty and light duty with 3B,1HDFTE,1HZ,2LT and 2LTII and before that a Toy pickup with a 2L. I have had good service from all these engines with my least favorite being the 2L and my favorite the 2LTII. Yet almost every time a Newbie seeks info on the Light duty cruisers or the 2LT they get bombarded with what I consider mis-information. So now it's my turn. the heavy duty's have their place, but a cruiser with leaf springs at all four corners will absolutely shake the fillings out of your teeth. A light duty will do about anything off-road a heavy will do except carry a heavy load across the sahara desert which most of us will never do anyhow . The light-duty's are just as tough and trouble-free as the others. If you're using them for dd, hunting, fishing, etc. the LJ's are more comfortable, drive better, and will still get you there and back.
No doubt the 2LT is not Toyota's best diesel but it sure as hell ain't as bad as some would have us believe!! If it were that bad....how come ther are hundreds of thousands running around the world and most are pushing 30 years old? The 2LT will go a long time if the maintenance is kept up, they're not lugged around with oversize tires and stock gearing, and they arenot asked to tow heavy loads long distances. I can only go by my own experience...........a 2l powered 4X4 pickup that was still going strong when I sold it with over 400,000 miles, a2LT LJ70 with 190,000 on it, another LJ70 with around 250,000. The LJ73 I currently drive has the 2LTII , 33" tires,and runs circles around my HZJ79 with a 1HZ. This thing is NOT a slug, and knocks down 24MPG. I love it. Long-winded way to say the 2LT ain't near as bad as some say......and actually is pretty damn good when used with a little common sense.

I thought it was this letter (-E) that introduced most of the issues.

You hit the nail on the head , the Euro spec 2LT's are pretty reliable while the JDM 2LT-E seem to create most of the issues caused by the added emission equipment.

You hit the nail on the head , the Euro spec 2LT's are pretty reliable while the JDM 2LT-E seem to create most of the issues caused by the added emission equipment.
Cool .... I very seldom get it right. :)

Been on Mud almost since the beginning, but don't post often. It's a great source of info........some really good and some not so good! I've owned and used 8 different 70 Series going back to 1988 both heavy duty and light duty with 3B,1HDFTE,1HZ,2LT and 2LTII and before that a Toy pickup with a 2L. I have had good service from all these engines with my least favorite being the 2L and my favorite the 2LTII. Yet almost every time a Newbie seeks info on the Light duty cruisers or the 2LT they get bombarded with what I consider mis-information. So now it's my turn. the heavy duty's have their place, but a cruiser with leaf springs at all four corners will absolutely shake the fillings out of your teeth. A light duty will do about anything off-road a heavy will do except carry a heavy load across the sahara desert which most of us will never do anyhow . The light-duty's are just as tough and trouble-free as the others. If you're using them for dd, hunting, fishing, etc. the LJ's are more comfortable, drive better, and will still get you there and back.
No doubt the 2LT is not Toyota's best diesel but it sure as hell ain't as bad as some would have us believe!! If it were that bad....how come ther are hundreds of thousands running around the world and most are pushing 30 years old? The 2LT will go a long time if the maintenance is kept up, they're not lugged around with oversize tires and stock gearing, and they arenot asked to tow heavy loads long distances. I can only go by my own experience...........a 2l powered 4X4 pickup that was still going strong when I sold it with over 400,000 miles, a2LT LJ70 with 190,000 on it, another LJ70 with around 250,000. The LJ73 I currently drive has the 2LTII , 33" tires,and runs circles around my HZJ79 with a 1HZ. This thing is NOT a slug, and knocks down 24MPG. I love it. Long-winded way to say the 2LT ain't near as bad as some say......and actually is pretty damn good when used with a little common sense.

SSShhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!! Don't let the secret out! They'll get more expensive like the HD models!! LJ7x's are so cheap up here (Canada) right now it's ridiculous. People think they're so inferior. Like this one for example; works out to $4300USD: 1991 Toyota Landcruiser Prado | Cars & Trucks | Vernon | Kijiji

I agree with what you say 100% That is completely my experience also.

And with the right upgrades they can even be used for towing as I've discovered - although not totally ideal. I tow a 16' camper trailer multiple times every summer with mine. Total truck/trailer weight = 8500-9000lb. No issues yet. My LJ78 is also quicker/stronger than any of the stock or mildly tuned diesel cruisers in our local club (since I upgraded/tuned).

The reality is, any IDI diesel with a turbo on it will face the same challenges. It's a function of surrounding a combustion chamber with coolant - heat will be lost. Put a turbo on 1HZ, 1PZ, 2H, 3B etc., they can all have the same problems if not tuned/maintained/drive properly.

2LT-II/2LTE actually have some advantages like semi-forged pistons with ceramic fiber reinforced ring lands. Pistons also have a cooling passage inside the crown that is cooled by block oil-squirters shooting oil into them. Cranks are strong as they don't break like some of the 3B's do (when turboed) - although this could be a function of tuning also....

My final thought is, the 2LT-II/2LTE were actually produced right through to 2001 or so in models like the Hilux LN165. The motors were continually revised to be better and better. I do admit that they cylinder head was not the best from 1989-1993 or so. But was improved thereafter.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom