Is the 1hd-fte turbocharger ceramic turbine? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Interesting read. It's cool they mention ceramic pre cups in the paper.
Thx
G

Yeah, they used ceramic pre-cups in the 2LTHE from 1984 through to 1993 or so. I really would like to get my hands on one of those cylinder heads and give it a try. The ceramic cups are larger than the regular ones, so can't just interchange them; need the whole cylinder head.

So the paper is on the early ct12 found in the twin turbo supra, and the early ct20b found in the MR2/Celica. The ct15b in the Chaser is a newer model, and apparently tougher than any of the earlier models.

The 1HDFTE ct20b with the inconel turbine is known to spool very quick on a 1HDT. It'll be interesting to see how the 1JZGTE ct15b with the ceramic turbine spools. Will be even faster.

I did some more math on the 1HD vs 1JZ flow. Seems like the 1JZ outflows the 1HD by between 100-150cfm at redline (depending on boost level). This means less chance of over spinning the turbo on the 1HD vs the 1JZ. Over spinning it is what leads to the turbine failing (according to that paper).

So something to keep in mind with spool time..... A lighter turbine will not spool at a lower rpm than a regular turbine at a steady speed if both turbos have the same compressor, turbine size and same turbine housing. if you have an extremely fast reving engine like a 2stroke, then having a light fast responding tubine will be very welcome as the turbo will be more able to keep up with the engine as it increases in Rpms. Make a semi trucks turbine into a light fast spooling turbo with the same trim on the turbine and exhaust housing and you could very well have the exact same response as the chunky old turbo cus the larger engine goes through it's rev range slow enough that the lighter turbine turbo is of little or no bennifit. Our engines are nether a 2stroke nor a semi truck but very fast reving they are not. This is well documented in ball bearing turbos. They get up to speed faster but your talking a fraction of a second faster. Both have the same performance at steady state scenarios.

Last edited:
The 1HDFTE ct20b with the inconel turbine is known to spool very quick on a 1HDT. It'll be interesting to see how the 1JZGTE ct15b with the ceramic turbine spools. Will be even faster.

The CT20B is Toyota's turbo upgrade for the HD series engines.
It's a fast spool, and high flow turbo.

Just a tip, you can pick them up in Aus in good used condition for $3-500 AUD (200-350USD). Even with a little shipping, its possibly going to be cheaper than a ct15b, then sourcing a HDFTE turbine housing.

The CT20B is Toyota's turbo upgrade for the HD series engines.
It's a fast spool, and high flow turbo.

Just a tip, you can pick them up in Aus in good used condition for $3-500 AUD (200-350USD). Even with a little shipping, its possibly going to be cheaper than a ct15b, then sourcing a HDFTE turbine housing.

I've seen them show up on gumtree etc., but most sellers are not willing to ship to Canada.

I've noticed lots of Chinese 1hdfte CT20B CHRA's and complete turbos for cheap on Ebay. I've been running a Chinese CHRA on my 2LTE for a year now at 19-20psi and it's held together just fine. So as much as people don't like the idea, for the price they're probably not a bad upgrade option for a 1HDT. Friend of mine already machined out his OEM 1HDT compressor housing to fit a Supra (47mm) compressor. I think that compressor is the same size as the CT20B/CT15B one? Should swap right on?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom